none
DPM 2016 File Server Disk Recovery not working if the file/folder names long RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Everybody,

I just migrated our backup infrastructure from DPM 2012 R2 to DPM 2016 and I found a very strange bug in file server recovery part.
    In our file server (Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) folder structure file/folder names are longer than 132 characters. In the previous DPM versions we didn't have any problem with this. But now when I trying to recover a file the recovery console cannot show/find these kind of objects. Some folders are empty.
    I tested it with new folders/files and I see in the monitoring window the replica is created and the size of data is correct but in the recovery console the result is the same. If I reduce the filename size then everythings fine.

Is there anybody to help me where can I report this problem?

Best Regards,

Bela Vajda

• Edited by BeLANzO Thursday, December 8, 2016 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 7, 2016 7:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for reporting this, indeed it seems to be a code defect. Can you please open a support ticket so we can investigate further and hopefully supply you with a workaround or a private fix.  We don't charge for tickets that are due to code defects, so the case will not cost you anything.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 9, 2016 2:47 PM
  • Dear Mike,

We have only just the standard Action Pack subscription and I cannot open a ticket.
    How can we manage this problem?

Best Regards,

Bela

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Hi,

We confirmed this as a code defect and should be fixed in an upcoming update rollup.

FYI - You can always open a support case using a credit card and as stated earlier if it turns out to be a code defect you will not be charged.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, January 9, 2017 10:37 PM
  • Dear Mike,

Thank you very much!

Do you have any information about approximately release date?

Best Regards,

Bela

Tuesday, January 10, 2017 2:43 PM
  • Hi,

I cannot say for sure, but I'm thinking mid February.  In the meantime, as a workaround you can restore the parent folder to a temporary location then copy the files out that are not shown in the UI.  Inconvenient I know but it will restore the files you need. 

Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:39 PM
  • Dear Mike,

You are GENIUS! I tested it and it's working perfectly.

Thank you very much!

Another question, I have 2 modern backup volumes and I would like to move protection groups from one into another. I checked commands/scripts but these are developed for disk based storage moving.

Do you have any documentation/guide how can I moving datas between modern storage volumes?

Best Regards,

Bela

Monday, January 16, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a method of migrating data sources from one modern backup storage volume to another without loosing the existing recovery points.  This is on the roadmap to get included in a future rollup fix.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:02 PM
  • I have the same problem. Workaround with restoring the parent folder works.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 10:16 AM
  • Dear Mike and Christian,

Today released the DPM 2016 Update Rollup 2 and it's contains this fix. I installed and now everythings work fine. Not just with the long filenames but with the special Hungarian characters (áíűőüöúóé) as well.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Bela

Wednesday, February 8, 2017 9:24 AM
  • I am seeing the same thing. Files with special characters and long filenames now show up in the DPM console.
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 10:30 AM