Why don't I see other SQL Instances on my LAN? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed SQL Server more often that I'll like to remember. I've installed everything from enterprise to Express platforms, and SQL 2005 to SQL 2014 dev versions.

I've never had this problem until I installed SQL 2014 DEV on my development PC.

The problem I'm having is that when I try to connect to as SQL instance, they do not get listed when I try to browse for other instances on my local network. If I know the name of the host and instance, I can type it and it connects just fine. I just don't understand why I can't get them to list in the Browse for Servers (Network tab) dialog.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Marshall
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 6:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Make sure SQL Server Browser service is started.

Configure Windows Firewall to allow SQL Server access and to allow traffic via port 1433 TCP and 1434 UDP.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx  

Configure other security and antivirus software or disable them temporarily to verify they are not blocking above ports.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Thursday, October 15, 2015 7:35 PM
  • The browser is one of the first things I checked, and we use a hardware firewall from Sophos, so the Windows firewall is turned off on all the PC's internally.

I am running VMWare VM on the same PC with Vista installed and I have SQL Server 2008 R1 running in it. It can browse other servers without a hitch. So, in light of this, I'm doubting the AV (WebRoot, in my case) is blocking anything, unless 2008 uses different ports for browsing? Our AV is managed by a consulting company and I rather not incur a $150 charge unless everything else has been tried.   

Are there any logs look at or any events I can look at to see if something is blocking it?

Marshall Youngblood

• Edited by myoungbl Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:23 PM clarification
    Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:22 PM
  • Try checking the registry setting HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib

There is a Key there : HideInstance

From memory, that used to be exposed in the Configuration somewhere in earlier versions so that you could switch it on and off, but I can't see that currently.

Martin Cairney SQL Server MVP

Thursday, October 15, 2015 11:53 PM
  • Hello Marshall,

Are the machines in the same or in different subnets? The information about existing SQL Server is provided by UDP protocol and and default UDP broadcast traffic is not forwarded between subnets, see http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Internetwork_Design_Guide_--_UDP_Broadcast_Flooding#UDP_Broadcast_Flooding

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Friday, October 16, 2015 6:51 AM
  • It's value is 0. I presume this is the value I want?
    Monday, October 19, 2015 3:02 PM
  • Same subnet, as far as I know. My SQL 2014 instance is on my own PC. I have a VM located on the same PC that has Vista Ultimate and SQL 2008 R1 installed. 

The former cannot see the latter. However, the latter can see the former.

There are a dozen instances of different versions SQL Express, and at least 1 other SQL 2014 instance installed on other PCs on the network. All are seen from the VM where SQL 2008 R1 is installed, but from my host, or my own PC, and can see nothing. I can, however, connect if I type in the server name. It just will not browse.

The other SQL 2014 instance on my network has the same problem. That one is installed on an identical PC, but where I'm running Win 8.1, the other is running Win 7.

Monday, October 19, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Is there a better way to ask this question. Does no one else have this problem?

Marshall Youngblood

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 8:09 PM