updates trhough vpn RRS feed

• Question

• dears,

as you know most of the clients now are working from home while connecting through vpn.

my wsus is configured to push updates to the pcs through gpos.

my question is will this still work if vpn is connected?

regards

Friday, March 20, 2020 2:47 PM

All replies

• It should be worked if users are connected to the VPN. But network may be slow down when updated are downloading.
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 5:16 AM
  • Thank you One thing, let’s say that the pcs arent connected through vpn. How can i download updstes? Because i guess it will be disabled by the wsus gpo. How can i bypass that? Or should we disable thepolicy and update the pcs to be able to manually install the updates?
    Sunday, March 22, 2020 2:27 PM
  • Hi eg1559,

Based on the above response, I suggest that updates can be obtained from both internal and external networks. You can consider the following.

1. Receive WSUS approved update alerts through the VPN network, but do not get updated installation files. You can adjust through the following Group Policy:
      - [Configure Automatic Updates] Set to Enabled and configure to "2 - Notify Download and Notify Install"

2. Get updates from Microsoft Update. Adjustments can be made through the following Group Policy:
      - [Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet Locations] Set to Not Configured  
      - [Turn off access to all Windows Update features]Set to Not Configured 

Note that if a client gets an update from Microsoft Update, the content of the update is not controlled by WSUS.

If you have any question, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 23, 2020 8:45 AM
  • Dear Rita,

May I ask the purpose of getting notification from WSUS Server without downloading via VPN ?

Cheers

Friday, March 27, 2020 9:07 AM
  • Hi,

The purpose of the notification is to let the client know that there are updates to download and install. This is not an required option. You can not configured this policy if you do not let the client know that there are updates to download and install.

Best regards,
    Rita

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 30, 2020 2:00 AM
  • Dear Rita,

My understanding is when the client is notified, they can download via Microsoft Update instead of VPN.  Is it correct ?

Thanks again

Monday, March 30, 2020 2:07 AM
  • Hi,

Your idea is correct. I suggest you refer to my first reply. 

• If you want the client to get the update from Microsoft, you can set the two group policies mentioned above. Once the client is applied correctly, you can get the update from Microsoft.

Reference Group Policy:
         - [Do not connect to any Windows Update Internet Locations] Set to Not Configured  
         - [Turn off access to all Windows Update features]Set to Not Configured

• If you want to get an update from WSUS, you can choose to set the appropriate Group Policy to control whether the client is notified accordingly. If you want the client to receive a notification, you can select "2" and you don't want the client to receive a notification, you can not configure this Group Policy.

Reference Group Policy:
         - [Configure Automatic Updates] Set to Enabled 

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,

Rita

Please remember to mark as answersif they help.

Monday, March 30, 2020 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

It seems there is no update for a couple of days. May we know the current status of the problem? Is there any other assistance we can provide?

If you have any questions, please keep us in touch.

Regards,
    Rita

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 6:54 AM