none
DPM 2012 Tape need Calculator RRS feed

• Question

• I'm writing a proposal document to change our backup retention policy.  We have recently migrated our data protection from Backup Exec to DPM 2012 and am currently implementing Tape Based backup into the equation.  Our current policy only has tape rotation offsite for 6 weeks.  I'm proposing a new D2T policy that will be as follows:

1X Weekly retain 8 weeks, 1x quarterly retained 12 months, 1x yearly retained 3 years.

What I'm being asked is how many more tapes will we have to purchase.  I have found some calculators for DPM but they are based on Exchange and Hyper-V.  I'm protecting a wide-range of data sets not only Exchange and Hyper-V. 

I have not configured tape based protection yet but need a way to calculate the number of tapes I need for these scenarios but haven't found anything in DPM that can assist me in running the scenario that provides me with an idea of the number of tapes I need.

Any advice?

• Edited by DDNDAVID Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:56 PM modified title
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 7:56 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I guess the simplest calculation would be:

Total Protected datasource size / tape capacity = number of tapes needed per week  * 8 weeks
    Number of tapes used for the last weekly backup  = number of tapes needed for a Quarterly backup * 4 quarters
    Number of tapes used for the last Quarterly backup  = number of tapes needed for a Yearly backup * 3 years

The hard part is geting the total protected datasource sizes and account for data growth over the year.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 1:20 AM