Can't print via a wireless print server RRS feed

• Question

• Printer Samsung CLP 300 Connected via Belkin Print server F1UP0001 to a wireless home network consisting of 1 XP PC, 1 VISTA PC and a new Windows 7 PC.

The xp and Vista machines use a TCP/IP printer port set up for RAW and both work perfectly with the printer.

The windows 7 machine setup identically, will not print the document remains in the print queue.

The windows 7 machine can log on to the print server and access its config it can also print on the CLP-300 when connected locally through USB

I can't believe that this should be so difficult any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 8:56 PM

Answers

• Bob

Ok this makes no sense, checked on the web for latest driver an downloaded the one Samsung recommends. Removed the printer uninstalled the original software and started from scratch. The result the printer wouldn't now print from the local usb let alone the print server.

Decided to remove all by use of system restore which failed due to....possibly the firewall??? Tried again with firewall off but it reported it still couldn't restore but ............... everything now works and it appears to be back to the original driver. I have no idea why, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth I'm just grateful it now works. Thanks for all your suggestions and support Bob, really appreciated. I think I'll sign off have a beer and maybe create a restore point just in case............... 

• Proposed as answer by Bob Reese Friday, May 21, 2010 9:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, May 24, 2010 3:00 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:33 PM

All replies

• Hello.  A couple of things spring to mind:

Do you have the LPR/LPD service installed and active?  

Do you have any third-party firewall software installed (such as Norton or McAfee) that could be blocking port 515?  Maybe Windows Firewall itself?

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:24 PM
  • Bob thanks or the response 

I understood from Belkin Tech suport  that as I'm using a TCP/IP printer port, it uses RAW not  LPR and Ports 9100 & 9101 not 515. The link below shows the article

https://www3.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F1UP0301&aid=10292&scid=1

This works fine on XP and Vista but not Windows 7.  I have tried it set up for LPR and port 515 but no joy.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:47 PM
  • Ah well, sorry I couldn't help.  It still sounds like a firewall issue to me.
    Wednesday, May 19, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Is the win 7 rig a laptop or desktop pc? If is desktop, is there any wireless network card being install? And is there any third party firewall other than windows firewall?

Get the IP of the print server and try mapping it through the win 7 rig by doing the following, go to start>search programs and file, type the following \\192.xxx.0.xxx (say if this is the IP address of the print server) and hit enter

Before you do the above, ensure the printer server setting is set to default, it could be due to the ssid and passphrase are set, same goes to the encryption like wep which is why you're having problem accessing

Lastly i notice there isn't any driver mean for win 7 for this print server and if driver is require, just run it under xp or vista compatible mode

Thursday, May 20, 2010 12:01 AM
    Answerer
  • Daniel

The win 7 PC is a desktop with no wireless card it is conected to a wireless router via a RJ45 cable.

I tried your suggestion on using the start>search programs and file but it cannot connect. However typin the IP address directly into IE conects to the print server config screen.

It's worth pointing out the print server and printer has always worked on this network and still does. none of the settings have been changed. The other 2 PC's ( 1x laptop & 1 x Desktop) bouth work it's only the win7 PC that does not ( it's a new adition)

Yes there is a 3rd party Firewall but as I can connect to the Print servers config  I thought it was ok.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:01 AM
  • Not necessarily.  The print server's config is probably accessed via the device's internal web server and that would use port 80.  Check the firewall to see if ports 9100 and 9101 are blocked.

Better yet, temporarily disable your third-party firewall (and possibly the Windows firewall as well) and see if the problem goes away.  If it does, re-enable the firewall and unblock those ports.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:42 AM
  • Bob

Disabled both firewalls but still no luck any other ideas?

Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:41 PM
  • Nope, not really.  I've had plenty of experience with remote print servers of various types and all the similar issues I've encountered have been firewall or network related.  And your network doesn't seem to be the issue here.  

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I notice that you said you tested the printer with a direct connection to the computer via USB; you did remember to switch the port back to the remote print server afterwards, right?  And clear the queue of any jammed/paused/stopped/errored jobs?

Let me mull it over some more and play around with my own setup; all my Windows 7 machines (both 32- and 64-bit) connect to printers via remote servers, but I'm using LPR for all of them with no issues at all after a few beginning hiccups.  

Also, maybe someone else will have a different solution.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Thanks Bob the print queue is clear and the printer was reset to the TCP/IP port after the USB print run.

I'm at a complete loss, I'll just have to hope you or some other kind soul has a flash of inspiration or it looks like a new win 7 compatable print server is on the cards.....just hope if I do need to take that route I can find one thats comatable with my other PC's

But I do hate to be beaten by what on the face of it seems a simple proble! 

Thursday, May 20, 2010 7:45 PM
  • See, that's what's throwing me for a loop...  There shouldn't be any issue with compatibility here.  You're using the raw TCP printing protocol you said, and that's platform-independent; so's the LPR/LPD protocol.  It shouldn't matter to the print server if you're running Windows, UNIX, Linux or Mac OSx.  The only time that compatibility might enter into it was if you were using the "Belkin Port" because it seems that that requires some sort of driver on the Windows box to work.  

BTW, I downloaded and read through the manual for your Belkin server and you seem to be doing everything correctly.

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:12 PM
  • Bob

You and me both as you say platform-independant!!!!

The only thing that might differ between the 3 pc is the printer driver! but if on the win 7 pc I can print via usb with the driver installed......... then the printer driver should work through the print server...shoudn't it?

Thursday, May 20, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Well, I thought of one thing you might try, just as a temporary work-around.  Mind you, what I'm about to suggest assumes that you're running a regular network setup (ie. all machines connect through a single router/switch/access point - mixed wireless and wired is okay), that your Vista PC and Win7 PC are running the same type of OS (ie. 32-bit or 64-bit) and that all machines belong to the same WORKGROUP.  If this is true then you could try:

On the Vista machine - share the printer.  In order to do this, File and Printer Sharing must be turned on first; it probably already is but it won't hurt to check.

On the Windows 7 machine - browse to the Vista machine, find the shared printer and connect to it.  You may be prompted about a driver, just let it do its thing; Windows 7 is perfectly happy with most Vista drivers, that's why we're using the Vista machine instead of the XP one.

Oh, and you're right - the Windows printer driver has nothing at all to do with the print server itself, only the printer that's attached to it.

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:23 AM
  • I really should have asked this before but better late than never:

What version of Windows 7 are you running?

What Anti-virus software do you have installed?

You say you have a third-party firewall installed - which one?

Any other software, such as backup software, CAD software or peer-to-peer software that might be using those ports?

Friday, May 21, 2010 12:31 PM
  • Bob

Windows Home Premium

Anti-Virus - AVG the free version

Firewall - Zone Alarm again the free one.

There’s no other software as far as I'm aware using the ports, not sure how I'd check.  

This is a new PC and apart from installing MS Office, and MS Money it as the operating system set it up.

My wireless ADSL/Router only has one RJ45 port which is at present used by the win 7 PC. I did wonder it would be worth swapping the connection over to the print server (as it can work either wireless of via a RJ45) and buying a wireless connecter for the PC. But I can't really see why that would make an difference  as the other PC work over  the print serves wireless link and the win 7 can access the print servers config over the same link

I must be missing something really simple.

Ok here somthing strange the printserver has an option to print a test page when the reset button is pressed for short period. When I try this the printers light flashes as if it's recieving data but nothing prints and it keeps flashing until i reset it!!! this point to the printer maybe.

I'll try a few things and se if I can identify whats happening

Friday, May 21, 2010 5:41 PM
  • The printer could be an issue, I've had similar things happen with a Linksys remote USB print server (not wireless) when a printer ties up.  Try resetting everything (remove power from the print server and printer for a minute or so) and see if it clears up.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 7:03 PM
  • Bob

Ok this makes no sense, checked on the web for latest driver an downloaded the one Samsung recommends. Removed the printer uninstalled the original software and started from scratch. The result the printer wouldn't now print from the local usb let alone the print server.

Decided to remove all by use of system restore which failed due to....possibly the firewall??? Tried again with firewall off but it reported it still couldn't restore but ............... everything now works and it appears to be back to the original driver. I have no idea why, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth I'm just grateful it now works. Thanks for all your suggestions and support Bob, really appreciated. I think I'll sign off have a beer and maybe create a restore point just in case............... 

• Proposed as answer by Bob Reese Friday, May 21, 2010 9:02 PM
    • Marked as answer by Novak Wu Monday, May 24, 2010 3:00 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 8:33 PM
  • Well, I'm glad you got it resolved finally.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help and gotten it fixed quicker.
    Friday, May 21, 2010 9:02 PM