SCCM Agent delete reg key problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to upgrade sccm agent However, I get an error message.

I see below lines from log files;

MSI: Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\PresentationMode.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel. 

File C:\Windows\ccmsetup\{59A0EA77-D28C-4286-83A6-04BB57B9CDD6}\client.msi installation failed. Error text: ExitCode: 1603
    Action: WriteRegistryValues.
    ErrorMessages:
    Could not open key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\PresentationMode.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel. 

So, I want to delete this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\ 

I can delete all sub itemes, However, I can't delete 

Mobile Client under the SMS key.

Normally I'm local admin and I insert my username from properties >> security and give full acess. It's OK. 

I can give access, But, not change anything I can't still delete this keys.

So, I changed key owners system to my account and tried again. However, I can't still keys.

When I want to delete keys, I get "Acess Denied" error. I experience this problem on 50 computers.

How can I delete these reg keys ?

Thanks 

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 5:39 AM

All replies

• How do the security permissions on that key look like? Can't you add your account or grant local admins full control?

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 7:02 AM
  • Create a policy in AD and set the permissions at the following location:

Computer Configuration / Policies / Windows Settings / Security Settings / Registry.

Add a new key and drill down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\ 

Once created right click it choose properties.  Change to Replace existing permissions.. and then edit the security to add in the rights for the users you need to have access to the key.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 8:49 AM
  • ok. I find problem.

I can give permission HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS However, I can't acess this PresetationMode subkey

...\Client [sub key]

....\Mobile Client [sub key]

...\PresetationMode [subkey]

problem is PresetationMode sub key. I can't give acess this subkey and nothing any item under security tab.

I can't read this key and add any user or group. 

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 12:59 PM
  • Start regedit in system context (psexec) and see if you can modify the security permissions then.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013 1:10 PM
  • Click Advanced and take ownership of the key or alternatively follow the GPO route as advised.
    Tuesday, July 9, 2013 11:10 PM
  • SCCMentor however, When I click advanced button, I get error message "you do not have permission"

After than, I can see permission windows but, I can't change anything.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:32 AM
  • Have you already tried my suggestion at all?

Thursday, July 11, 2013 7:16 AM
  • Or even the GPO route
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 8:31 AM
  • I don't understant problem. Because, I tried it again and user and groups listed under the security tab.

And I can add user now.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:38 AM