Wrong OS level reported RRS feed

• Question

• I have one monitored client laptop managed by SCE2010 that reports its OS as "Windows 7 Professional" However, the laptop is Windows 7 Professional SP1", and all my other desktops and laptops report as "Windows 7 Professional SP1"

Winver and msinfo32 both report the same identical information comparing this machine to another that reports properly.

Any Suggestions?

Friday, July 29, 2011 10:32 PM

Answers

• Hello Padawan,

Was this computer updated recently from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Professional SP1? This issue could be caused by the information which was out of date.

Please try clearing the HealthService queue on the computer which was reported incorrect memory and see how it works:

1)     Stop System Center Management service.

2)     Go to C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\, and rename the “Health Service State” folder.

3)     Restart System Center Management service.

If the issue persists, please also repair the agent:

How to Repair an Agent in Essentials

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422847.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:55 AM
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:47 AM
  • The machine was updated to SP1 before we deployed SCE 2010, but I went ahead anyway. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\ does not have a Health Service State Folder folder. However,  C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007 does have one. So I stopped the service, deleted the folder, and restarted the serrvice and the machine now detects correctly. FYI, the only management software we ever had was SCE 2010, not SMS, MOM etc.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• Hello Padawan,

Was this computer updated recently from Windows 7 Professional to Windows 7 Professional SP1? This issue could be caused by the information which was out of date.

Please try clearing the HealthService queue on the computer which was reported incorrect memory and see how it works:

1)     Stop System Center Management service.

2)     Go to C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\, and rename the “Health Service State” folder.

3)     Restart System Center Management service.

If the issue persists, please also repair the agent:

How to Repair an Agent in Essentials

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb422847.aspx

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 9:47 AM
  • The machine was updated to SP1 before we deployed SCE 2010, but I went ahead anyway. C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\ does not have a Health Service State Folder folder. However,  C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007 does have one. So I stopped the service, deleted the folder, and restarted the serrvice and the machine now detects correctly. FYI, the only management software we ever had was SCE 2010, not SMS, MOM etc.
    Monday, August 1, 2011 3:02 PM
  • Hello Padawan,

Glad to hear the issue resolved.

Essentials 2010 and Operations Manager 2007 use the same agent to manage computers. So the default installation folder is same as Operations Manager 2007("C:\Program Files\System Center Operations Manager 2007").

"C:\Program Files\System Center Essentials\" is the default installation folder for Essentials 2007. Sorry for my mistake.

Thanks,

Tuesday, August 2, 2011 8:55 AM