Access denid RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I did a punch of updates last night which were overdue. I am using windows 10 and for some reasons i left couple of system updates hanging for a while. interestingly, after doing the updates.... my external hard drive don't seem to be recognized by the computer. it is just presented as local drive D. it doesn't show its name and can't be accessed. when i click on it, the message says "D:\ is not accessible" and "The request is not supported"

it was working just fine right before the updates!! what should i do?

FYI: 

- its administrator access 

- i tried properties hard drive to check the security but its not showing. for some reason there isn't security option.

- i updated the drive incase it was outdated. 

Thanks

Thursday, February 2, 2017 12:11 PM

All replies

• Right click on D Drive and go to Properties. Click on the security tab and add the user EVERYONE to the list of Group or User Names. Give EVERYONE full control in the little box below. 

S.Sengupta, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:21 AM
  • Hi ,

Try to uninstall the external disk's driver from Device Manager, then reboot the machine to let Windows reinstall automatically, check if it helps. Considering this error is related to permission, try to take full control permission of this external drive, check if it works. We could implement it using command line,  take administrative ownership using “takeown /f” command then grant administrators full access using “icacls” command
    For example,
    takeown /f Path_And_File_Name
    icacls Path_And_File_Name /GRANT ADMINISTRATORS:F

If the issue persitsts, based on your description, this issue occurred after installed updates. If it is possible, I suggest you uninstall these installed updates, check if it can be fixed.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 3, 2017 6:25 AM