none
Need to automate scheduling of consistancy check on inconsistant data source RRS feed

• Question

• I am running DPM 2012 and am looking for a way to automate a consistancy check within DPM. I understand that DPM will "heal itself" when it does a full backup, and that is working correctly. However, I need a way to automate this so that I don't have to wait until the next full backup for the datasource to be consistant again.

The issue that is causing my inconsistancies is that we have SQL admins who will, on occasion, do a manual backup and restore in SQL. This of course causes issues with VSS writer and DPM will show inconsistant as a result. I can go into DPM and manually run a Consistancy check and it resolves it right away. I am trying to get away from the 'hand holding' that I am needing to do when a protection source becomes inconsistant.

I found a great script a task scheduler solution, but it's for DPM 2007, and does not appear to work for me.

Does SCOM offer a way to kick off a consistancy check automatically when it senses that a protection source goes inconsistant? Or is there a script I could use to do this? 

Monday, June 4, 2012 6:34 PM

Answers

• Bit late to this party I know, but I found that doing the internal SQL backup with the COPY ONLY parameter doesn't break the log chain, and DPM can carry on fine...
    Friday, February 14, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't understand the "Hand Holding" statement if you say that DPM Auto-heal is working fine.

The only way DPM can detect inconsistencies and run an auto-CC is after a scheduled synch or full backup is ran and fails.  By Default DPM will only attempt to run one Consistency Check, and if that fails, then you need to fix it manually.   This is configurable in the registry.

See this blog:http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/06/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-auto-heal-features-in-dpm-2010.aspx

To make Auto-CC retry four time, use this setting.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Configuration]
    "AutoCCNumberOfAttempts"=dword:00000004

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:30 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. Here is my environment in a little more detail.

I am doing 15 minute recovery points with a full backup happening each night at 11 PM. DPM backs these SQL data sources flawlessly. However, if a SQL admin does a manual backup of a db that I am protecting with DPM, then I get notified by DPM that a protection source has become inconsistant. This inconsistant state WILL REMAIN  until the full backup happens that evening, at which point it becomes synchronized again. I understand that this is expected behavior. Now, at any point after that I can log into DPM and run a consistancy check, which will immediately bring the protection source (SQL DB) back into a consistant state.

The difficulty is that these DBs will NOT be backed up between the point when a manual backup occurs (via SQL) and the point when a full backup occurs. This does not meet our requirements, and I have to manually log in each time and run a consistancy check either through powershell or through the console. Hense the "hand holding". In other words, unless I intervene, a protection source will go unprotected, in an inconsistant state, until the next full backup occurs. If my full happens at 11 PM, and a manual backup occurs at 11:05 PM, then I have lost the entire days worth of backups. This is what is happening for us now, unless I log in and manually kick off a consistancy check. Obviously this is unworkable.

Is there any solution out there that will automatically run a consistancy check when a inconsistant state is detected? Will SCOM 2012 do this? Or can I run a scheduled task triggering a powershell script that will initiate a consistancy check?

Monday, June 4, 2012 9:50 PM
  • Hi Rich,

OK - Now I understand the senario.  Basically this failure (log chain broken) does not lead to an inconsistent volume that a Auto-CC would normally fix.  Instead, it's simply a missed recovery point, and unfortunalty is not something that auto-heal code will resolve since you need an EF backup.  So basically, a manual forced consistency check, or an express full backup will get you back into the green. Unfortunatly, since the DB's may vary, there is no easy way to automate running a CC or a new EF backup automatically.  DPM powershell script could probably do the trick, but I don't have anything handy to help you.  You could schedule more express full backups and depending on the retention range will determine how many more you could do in a day to help mitigate the "baby sitting".

If you could get your SQL admins to use DPM SSRT to restore the databases, then that would result in an inconsistent replica once the restore is complete and auto-CC should catch and fix that automatically.   Since you are taking incrementals every 15 minutes, I don't see the need to take external SQL backups either, so education for the SQL admins is your best bet all the way around. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, June 5, 2012 4:07 AM
  • Thanks Mike. I'm disappointed to hear this. Does anyone else know of another way to automate the CC? I have heard that System Center Operations Manager 2012 has a "Automatic Alert Resolution" mechanism that will kick off a consistancy check on DPM. Has anyone had any experience with that for DPM usage?
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 6:41 PM
  • Bit late to this party I know, but I found that doing the internal SQL backup with the COPY ONLY parameter doesn't break the log chain, and DPM can carry on fine...
    Friday, February 14, 2014 3:26 PM