Vista Downloadable Hotfix Not Applying Correctly...? RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Ultimate x64.  I'm trying to install KB938979, but the hotfix returns "This update does not apply to your system".  In reading the article, it certainly appears to apply.  Also, the affected files have a date/time stamp of Nov 17, but a version that is older than the ones in the article.

For example:

Article dhcpmonitor.dll - Date: June 26, 2007 Version: 6.0.6000.20627

My Machine dhcpmonitor.dll - Date: Nov 17, 2007 Version: 6.0.6000.16512

I haven't checked all the files, but I did spot check authi.dll, dhcpmonitor.dll, and shell32.dll.  All have date stamps of Nov 17, but older versions than those listed in the article.

In looking at Control Panel, Windows Update, Update History, I see that this hotfix was successfully installed on Nov 17.  That doesn't seem accurate, given the version information.

Also, of the 3 files I spot checked, 2 of them had the same file size as those listed on the article page, but shell32.dll was not.  The article lists the updated shell32.dll as being 12,783,616 bytes, and the one on my machine is 12,783,104 bytes.

I have also attempted to install 938194, which has the exact same problem.

Any ideas?

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 7:28 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Steve2112

Thank you for the post.

I have tested the issue on my computer.

I downloaded KB938979 from Microsoft Download Center and tried to install it. The same error appeared: "This update does not apply to your system". I checked Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Installed Updates and found KB938979 had already been installed. I uninstalled it and tried to re-install it. The reinstallation was successful.

Therefore, we can infer this error occurs because the update has already been installed. You do not need to manually re-install it. If you prefer to install the latest version of KB938979, you can manually uninstall and reinstall it. However, I believe there are not much difference between the old version and the new version. If the change is significant, Microsoft will release a new update.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Thursday, November 22, 2007 9:53 AM