Website accessible when running IE (no add-ons) but not when running IE with all add-ons manually disabled. RRS feed

• Question

• I am having problems accessing one particular website running IE8 under Win XP. It sits there spinning for ages and eventually it reports a '504 Gateway' error.

I can access the website using the Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) shortcut and I get connected immediately.

Thinking it was therefore a conflicting add-on I started disabling them manually. I ended up disabling all of them but it still made no difference; I kept getting the Gateway error. I therefore concluded that there must be an add-on still loaded that IE wasn't telling me about.

So, the question is: how is it possible that I can disable all add-ons manually, and for IE not to work in the same mode as the Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons) shortcut?

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 11:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In the context of your original question... services in the windows startup list can pole the Disabled Addons list and turn them back on without user intervention. If you have the Google toolbar installed first

go to toolbar.google.com and download and install the latest version. then go to msconfig and disable the Google toolbar updater service.

Generally, COM addons (Toolbars and Browser Helper Objects (BHO's)) cause the most problems with IE. If you want an easy fix to improve performance of IE8 on XP, use GPO or user settings Advanced tab>uncheck "Enable third-party Browser Extensions"...

Manually v disable all depends on the context of your view in the Addons Manager...

select tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons

Disabling all from there will disable ALL, loaded or not. COM and ActiveX

Select tools>Manage Addons>Show currently loaded Addons

will only disable those addons that are currently loaded in the running IE Processes...

!important

for your changes to take full effect you must close and restart ALL open IE processes...

typically in IE8 on XP tab crashes from misbehaving addons leave orphaned IE processes running.. to clear these a re-boot in required or you can use the tasksManager to clear them to start IE a-fresh with your noAddons preferences.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Edited by 网游 - wang'you Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by AndyChips Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:07 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Start>Run>msconfig>Startup tab, disable any non-ms services in the windows startup list...Probably it will be a service of your Anti-virus program. (Note: msconfig is not available on Home versions of XP)

Reboot your computer and run IE in noAddons mode again to test.

Post consumer questions about IE to http://answers.Microsoft.com (Help>Online Support menu from IE)

or

If on a company network, in the first instance contact your Network administrators or Help Desk. They may have additional software between you and the external internet (Proxy).

Include the address of any websites that you are having issues with your question.

Rob^_^

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi Rob, and thanks for your reply. Actually, I am the IT administrator :-)

Yes, I am familiar with msconfig and all the things you mention. My question was more one of principle: What is the difference between running IE with no add-ons and running it with all add-ons disabled?

Someone must know.

A.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:55 AM
  • Hi,

In the context of your original question... services in the windows startup list can pole the Disabled Addons list and turn them back on without user intervention. If you have the Google toolbar installed first

go to toolbar.google.com and download and install the latest version. then go to msconfig and disable the Google toolbar updater service.

Generally, COM addons (Toolbars and Browser Helper Objects (BHO's)) cause the most problems with IE. If you want an easy fix to improve performance of IE8 on XP, use GPO or user settings Advanced tab>uncheck "Enable third-party Browser Extensions"...

Manually v disable all depends on the context of your view in the Addons Manager...

select tools>Manage Addons>Show All Addons

Disabling all from there will disable ALL, loaded or not. COM and ActiveX

Select tools>Manage Addons>Show currently loaded Addons

will only disable those addons that are currently loaded in the running IE Processes...

!important

for your changes to take full effect you must close and restart ALL open IE processes...

typically in IE8 on XP tab crashes from misbehaving addons leave orphaned IE processes running.. to clear these a re-boot in required or you can use the tasksManager to clear them to start IE a-fresh with your noAddons preferences.

Regards.

Rob^_^

• Edited by 网游 - wang'you Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by AndyChips Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Thanks Rob,

Some useful info there.

I was familiar with disabling all add-ons after selecting Show All, but as I alluded to before that made no difference. Maybe it was as simple as the requirement to restart IE after making add-on changes. I never knew that. I'll get a chance to re-visit the problem later today and I'll report back if anyone's interested.

With regard to services silently re-enabling add-ons in the background: I wonder how running IE (No Add-ons) gets round that?

A.

Update: All working! All I needed to do was to restart IE after disabling the add-ons. Points awarded.
    • Edited by AndyChips Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:51 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:31 AM
  • iexplore.exe -extoff

loads a sandboxed service and does not load any addons... depending on the type of addon they are loaded at different times during the window/tab creation process...COM addons are instantiated by iSetSite calls, command bar buttons at browser start time, context menus (and accelerators I think) are refreshed from the registry on right click, ActiveX .. by demand when instantiated with <object> tags.

Using Procmon.exe you can see the queries to the addons registry keys during the tab and user interaction life-cycle. Which reminds me that procmon.exe may help you in this case...

Server Error codes greater than 503 aren't handled by IE8 (I think)... there must be some middle-ware there...

Regards.

Rob^_^

Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:34 AM