none
Trying to downgrade RD CALS on a VM from 2012 Server (purchased) to 2008 Server (Needed) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to use legitimately purchased RD CALS with WinServer2008 R2 for Remote Desktop Access.

I have  activated the RDS License server fine, and tried to deploy the 5-pack of RDS CALS the same as I have done for 2012 Server, but I am told the MSoft Licensing Clearinghouse gets an error whenever give the RD CALS product key.

They cannot help me with the downgrade, and are referring me to the MSoft Professional Assistance with associated charges.  How do I implement the downgrade to Server2008, if I do not have a Server 2012 to provide an intermediary installation location?

Am at my wits end with MSoft, and nothing in TechNet has prepared me for this.

Note that as a year 2016 IT pro, I cannot buy Win Server 2008 R2 RD CALS, only the 2012 RD CALS and there are supposedly foolproof instructions on how to downgrade.  But those instructions do not help me.

Monday, December 5, 2016 1:03 AM

All replies

• For the best chance with help, try reposting in an appropriate group like: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverTS

This forum is for the product Virtual Server 2005.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

RDS 2012 CALs can be downgrade to 2008 R2 RDS Server. you Need only to contact TSLM(Terminal Services Licensing Management) in your Region.

very important: Do not mention the word DOWNGRADE or they will turn you away. Simply tell them you are looking to activate your RDS CALs.

thanks

diramoh

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 8:23 AM