none
What do I need to do to migrate apps using MDT/USMT? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, thanks for reading.

I'm trying to set up an OSD solution using MDT to upgrade our org's Win7 machines to 10. After going through so many guides on accomplishing this, I'm confused. I can deploy a new machine using the task sequence I've created in MDT. But, when I run Litetouch.vbs to refresh a machine, the user profile appears to migrate, but the customizations are lost. This includes the desktop background, IE homepage, and an installation of Adobe Reader. All proprietary files are migrated too.

I suppose I'm either using the wrong upgrade scenario, or I'm missing some pieces in the TS and/or customsettings.ini that would reinstall the apps and other customizations made by the user. If someone could help me understand how the "in-place" scenario uses MDT/USMT, I would really appreciate it.

-G

Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:26 PM

Answers

• Hi

The MDT/USMT is working as you are experience. USMT does not reinstall your applications.

I assume that you are using a standard task Sequence. You need to use the upgrade Task Sequence - then it will run the setup.exe with parameters.

This will do a inplace upgrade from windows 7 to Windows 10. It will upgrade the OS, and it will not touch your user profiles or apps.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Microsoft MVP - Enterprise Mobility
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

• Marked as answer by Garrett B Tuesday, February 21, 2017 7:57 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 9:17 AM