none
Help installing MSI via GPO

Question

• Hello,

This is driving me crazy, I'm never installed software via a GPO before and have been asked to install an MSI silently to our users.

MSI - https://www.citrix.com/downloads/citrix-receiver/additional-client-software/hdx-realtime-media-engine-201.html

Some already have an older version of the MSI some don't have it.

I've copied the file to a share that all users can get to and tried to assign a package to my Computer or User policy and neither works.

I've followed this.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/816102

In the event logs all I see is event code 1040 which says "Beginning a Windows Installer transaction....."

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 7:47 AM

Answers

• > After you uninstalled Notepad, please verify that the installer file is
    > deleted completely. If it exists in system, the group policy may not
    > redeploy the msi file again.

Not really, Wendy :-)

AppMgmt keeps its own list of installed applications, and unless you
    cleanup this list, it will not reinstall.

The list is located in both HKLM and HKCU at
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\AppMgmt.

Monday, May 9, 2016 11:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Event1040 indicates that the Microsoft Installer has initiated the installation of a software package. This event in itself is just informational. If the installation fails, please look for other events that may have more relevant information about the source of the problem.

Before going further, please verify that the group policy is applied successfully on computers or users. You could run gpresult /h command to check.

And I would suggest you have a try following this article and see if it works.
    https://www.clarosoftware.com/help/how-to-use-group-policy-to-remotely-install-software-in-windows-server-2012/
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 9:22 AM
  • Hello,

Nice URL but still have the same issue and the gpresult says the User GPO is being applied.

I've browsed to the share and can get to it as well.

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Hmm,

Downloaded another msi file (Notepad ++) and this one installs, so it must be that Citrix MSI I'm trying with.

I've uninstalled Notepad ++ and rebooted and it doesn't reinstall after a reboot (I set the policy to redeploy too), something else to read-up I guess.

THanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2016 3:05 PM
  • I've uninstalled Notepad ++ and rebooted and it doesn't reinstall after a reboot (I set the policy to redeploy too

Hi,
    After you uninstalled Notepad, please verify that the installer file is deleted completely. If it exists in system, the group policy may not redeploy the msi file again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 6, 2016 1:41 AM
  • > After you uninstalled Notepad, please verify that the installer file is
    > deleted completely. If it exists in system, the group policy may not
    > redeploy the msi file again.

Not really, Wendy :-)

AppMgmt keeps its own list of installed applications, and unless you
    cleanup this list, it will not reinstall.

The list is located in both HKLM and HKCU at
    Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Group Policy\AppMgmt.

Monday, May 9, 2016 11:21 AM
  • Hi Martin,
    Great, thank you for  sharing and updating me. It is my pleasure to learn more from you.

Regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 6:41 AM