Vista sees DVDRW Drive a DVD Drive RRS feed

• Question

•  

Vista sees my Plextor PX-755SA SATA DVDRW drive as a normal DVD Drive. I can still use it as a burner using 3rd party programs (i.e. Nero), but Vista will not let me use any of the built in features (i.e. "send to," drag and drop, or any other vista burning features). Does anyone know how I can tell Vista that the drive has writing capabilities?

wgoodman

Wednesday, January 2, 2008 8:53 PM

Answers

• Hello wgoodman,

Thanks for your post!

Based on my research, Plextor hasn’t issued any compatibility information or driver of PX-755SA for Windows Vista. Therefore, I think this issue is caused by incorrect driver.

To solidly resolve this problem, I recommend you to contact Plextor to report this issue, and push them to release updated driver designed for Windows Vista if possible.

Having said that, I still love to share a possible method for this issue, according to my experience.

1.    In Windows\inf, locate the file INFCACHE.1

2.    Right-click INFCACHE.1 and in Security tab, give yourself full control permission.

3.    Rename the INFCACHE.1 to INFCACHE.1.old

4.    Restart your computer, check the issue again. (Reinstall the device if necessary)

Please note, I just include this method for your reference. We don’t recommend you to change system files generally. Please try it at your own risk.

If the problem persists, you may still need to contact Plextor for further support. Thanks!

Hope it helps! Happy New Year!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Sunday, January 6, 2008 10:54 AM