none
update installation failure in sp3 rc2 RRS feed

• Question

• I recently updated my windows to sp3 rc2 from sp3 rc1(I first uninstalled sp3
    rc1 and got back to sp2, then i updated to sp3 rc2). Since then I've been
    facing problems regarding the following:

1. Automatic updates are downloaded, but are not able to install. I get no
    specific error regarding failure of installation. However, when I tried
    downloading 3 of the 4 updates as downloaded (but not able to install) by
    windows update wizard from the microsft website, i was able to install it perfectly. Now the
    update wizard shows 1 available update (all except the 3, I manually
    downloaded from Microsoft's site).
    The update wizard worked perfectly in sp2 and even in sp3 rc1.

2.Windows Defender isn't working for sp3 rc2. I get typical error regarding
    windows encountering some error with windows defender, and the defender
    doesn't even start.

Should i uninstall sp3 rc2 and get back to sp2 ?

Somebody plz help!

Will i not be able to install the windows updates automatically any more?  do i have to do it manually everytime? that wud be  so damn problem.

Plz comment.
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:12 PM

Answers

All replies

•  viveksethi13 wrote:
    Will i not be able to install the windows updates automatically any more?  do i have to do it manually everytime? that wud be  so damn problem.

viveksethi13,

Once you installed SP3 RC2 or any beta versions of SP3, you will not be able to install any updates for Windows XP, and this is a expected behavior and normal. This behavior will not exists in SP3 RTM/Final, however it is yet to be released.

To stop further update installation errors. (Follow the instructions below)

1) Stop the service "Automatic Updates"

2) Delete all the files in this (C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\) directory.

3) Restart the service "Automatic Updates"

4) Go to Start --> Run -->, type "regsvr32 wups2.dll" without the quotes, and press the Enter button

5) Visit Windows/Microsoft Update again to install WUA or let it scan for updates.

6) Once again, there will not be any updates for Windows XP after you installed SP3 RC1/2 builds, and this is NORMAL.

Download Windows Defender to reinstall

1) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=435BFCE7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

Regards,

Thomas

Thursday, April 10, 2008 4:45 PM
  • Dear Thomas,

Thanks a lot for providing a solution to my problem, but before i take any of the steps mentioned by you, i'll be obliged if you tell me about the following:

1) What/Which files are stored in this(C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\) directory? You told me to delete all the files contained in this directory.

2)You told me to :

Go to Start --> Run -->, type "regsvr32 wups2.dll" without the quotes, and press the Enter button after enabling the automatic updates.
    What does this command exactly do?

3) Will these steps stop the automatic detection of updates? If yes, what steps will i have to take to activate the automatic update wizard when i install the final version of sp3?

4)When will the final version of sp3 release?

I downloaded the windows defender from the link you mentioned. I've got the same problem:
                 It says "Windows Defender User Interface has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for                                         the inconvienience."

I also send the error report to microsoft. Where do we find the solutions to the error report we send to microsoft via  Microsoft's Error Reporting Service?

Thanking you in anticipation,
    Vivek (Viveksethi13)
    Friday, April 11, 2008 7:07 PM
  • Evening Vivek

how are things?

1)  Software distrubtion is the folder where Background intelligent transfer program stores its folder. Its better if incorrect information is not reffered to, clearing this folder out helps with failed update installs.

2)  Registering Wups2.dll is an acknowledged fix for automatic updates. Microsoft has not fixed the problem with wuau, which depends on wups2 and fails to install updates because it is not REGISTERed in the registry or associated with the main part of the program

3)  Not stop the detection of updates, things like windows defender will continue to be updated by updates. And protects your system from mal-ware. This is normal behavior!. It has been publically stated by MSFT team members that the release candidates are excluded from updates. This provides a stable image for trouble shooting purposes. And is also normal behavior.

4)  MSFT team members has states 1st half of this year, and also when it is READY. Which is the purpose of this forum, for us that are using this SP refresh candidate to provide feedback, that ASSISTS the SP team clean up the problems that exist. I have looked over in the SP1 vista forum and there are many, many more posts that are unsolved *last month"

So the team members are working hard for an OUT of the box, trouble free experience when SP 3 is released!

Applying the registery fix will solve part of your problem. And should be more error free. Good luck hope this helps you!

Cheers

Fossilized user of ancient pre - internet computers

Keith

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:47 AM
  •  viveksethi13 wrote:
    Thanks a lot for providing a solution to my problem, but before i take any of the steps mentioned by you, i'll be obliged if you tell me about the following:
    <snipped>

Viveksethi13,

I believe 1stknight has answered most of your questions. If you need further details, please feel free to read the following threads.

1) http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2880997&SiteID=17

2) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798 (A little description "Method 10" of the SoftwareDistribution folder)

3) http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1291227&SiteID=25

Regards,

Thomas

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:20 PM