windows side by side RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 Help/Support says to click on "Show windows side by side" (using right click on the taskbar) in order to get 3 open windows to line up next to each other vertically and fill the entire screen simultaneously. However, when I try it, each of 3 windows takes up one quarter of the screen: each of 2 taking up one half of the left side, and 1 in the upper right. What should I do to be able to set up 3 windows as is shown in the instructions? I already know about clicking on the title bar and dragging to extreme left or right to expand it to half the screen, as well as holding the Windows key and using the left or right arrow buttons, and those actions work fine. But they don't work with 3 screens.

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:17 PM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows 7 Miscellaneous)
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:15 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

If I understand correctly this time, you want to arrange your windows in vertical stack. Arrange your open windows, right-click an empty area of the taskbar, then click Show windows stacked.

Manage multiple windows

Alex

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If you want to span your screens vertically, you could refer to the following article:

Multi-monitor with Win7

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 5:18 AM
  • Alex: Thanks for your help on the windows side by side issue, but I'm using just one screen -- the one on the laptop.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 11:28 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for my misunderstanding.

If I understand correctly this time, you want to arrange your windows in vertical stack. Arrange your open windows, right-click an empty area of the taskbar, then click Show windows stacked.

Manage multiple windows

Alex

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:47 AM
  • Alex, thanks for your responses. I apologize for taking so long to follow up to your answers.

Your response, I'm sorry to say, did not help. I open 3 windows and right click on the taskbar and choose "show windows side by side." What I get is one window located in the upper left quarter of the screen, one window in the lower left quarter and one window in the upper right quarter, with the lower right quarter not being filled. This is not what I want.

Your link, to "Manage multiple windows," refers to 3 vertically stacked windows. Those windows are actually horizontal, not vertical. The "stack windows" option is actually arranging the windows vertically, and that's what I want. However, when I try the 'stack' option, I get the same thing: one window located in the upper left quarter of the screen, one window in the lower left quarter and one window in the upper right quarter, with the lower right quarter not being filled.

What do I need to do to get the 'stack' or 'side by side' option to open 3 windows, with each one taking up one third of the screen, vertically, ie, up and down, not side to side?

Thanks much.

How do I change

Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Windows wont do it with Tabs.

Open individual applications, then click side by side, or stack.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 11:44 PM
  • larsel:

Thanks for your response. I opened 3 applications: a Microsoft Word document, a photo and a pdf. I right clicked on the taskbar and chose "show windows side by side." What I got was one window located in the upper left quarter of the screen, one window in the lower left quarter and one window in the upper right quarter, with the lower right quarter not being filled. This is not what I want.

Using the "stack windows" option on the taskbar gives me the same thing: one window located in the upper left quarter of the screen, one window in the lower left quarter and one window in the upper right quarter, with the lower right quarter not being filled.

What I want is to have 3 open windows next to each other, vertically (up and down), with each one taking up one third of the screen. Any suggestions on how to get that?

thanks much...

Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:17 AM
  • I dont have an answer, I hope you find one.

On a side note, Ubunto does the quad screen.

If you open 4 applications, will windows fill all four spaces?

Sunday, November 27, 2011 4:02 PM
  • You asked what hgappened with 4 open applications, so I tried it...and the computer arranged the windows in one sixth sections, so there were 2 open sections on the screen. Makes no sense to me. I've tried Hewlitt Packard support, this support forum and others and nobody seems to know how to fix the problem. It's not earth shattering, but I paid for it to set up 3 windows vertically, and I'd like it to do that.

Oh well, one of those ways that computers help make our lives 'easier' I guess...

Sunday, November 27, 2011 6:35 PM
  • It's almost as if Windows overestimates (or rounds up) the number of non-minimized application windows. Might there be some "ghost" windows you cannot see.

As an aside, I would have expected "side by side" to show windows placed horizontally beside each other, not on top of each other. I guess if neither works as we would logically expect, this may be a moot point.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:16 PM