none
ADMT 3.2 Database issue.

Question

• We had a working installation of ADMT 3.1 on a 2008 R2 server. However, when we recently tried to open the console, we got the following error message:

Unable to check for failed actions. : DBManager.IManageDB.1 : Cannot open database "ADMT" requested by the login. The login failed.

We uninstalled and SQL Server Express as well as ADMT 3.1.We reinstalled sql server 2008 Express and installed ADMT 3.2. Same error.

So we installed SQL server 2008 Express and ADMT 3.2 on a completely new server (2008 R2). Same error. All installations were made by the same domain user (domain administrator).

We tried the solution as suggested by https://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/admt-series-misc-cannot-open-database-admt-the-login-failed.html but the all accounts are already listed as expected. We have also tried running the console with administrative privileges without luck.

Regards,

Jonas

Tuesday, February 7, 2017 12:50 PM

All replies

• Hi Jonas,

I did some research about your scenario and found some similar cases, even though you uninstalled ADMT, the directory was left in %windir%\ADMT. Please try to do one more wipe of ADMT and delete that directory to have a test.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 9, 2017 7:33 AM
  • Thanks, already tried that. Even tried on a completely different server were ADMT never have been installed. 
    Monday, February 13, 2017 6:37 AM
  • I noticed that the ADMT database is not created during ADMT installation although ADMT can successfully connect to the instance during installation. 

I tried to create the database manually using admtdb.exe but it tells me it is a incompatible version, i have tried both 10.1 and 10.3 (2008 SP3 Express and 2008 R2 Sp2 Express). What Express edition is definite to work with admt 3.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2?

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 11:58 AM
  • Alright. So now i tried on a win 10 laptop. Now it is a different error: 

Unable to check for failed actions. :DBManager.IManageDB.1 Unable to retrieve the database file pagth from the registry. the system cannot find the file specified"

Reinstalling ADMT, and instead of specifying database with .\SQLEXPRESS, i use "LOCALHOST\SQLEXPRESS i get an error alreay here that the database is incompatible. I have tried with 

10.50.4000 (both x64 and x86)

Wednesday, February 15, 2017 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Solution to the issue “error opening ADMT console unable to retrieve the database path from the registry” is:
    1. The account with which you are installing ADMT and SQL should be added into local administrators specifically even it is a part of domain admin.
    2. While providing the SQL Server details , use the name of server instead of .(dot) for local server, if your SQL Express is locally installed.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Thanks for your response Alvin!

1: Already tried, no effect on the issue.

2: No effect on the issue. 

Regards,

jonas

Monday, February 20, 2017 3:09 PM
  • Hi Jonas,

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

If there is no progress, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, February 23, 2017 8:23 AM