Office 365 Business - No GPO settings possible RRS feed

• Question

• This one has me stunned. Last week, we bought a single license for Office 365 Business. Version 2016 in this case. A truckload of Office programs for a friendly price, when compared to the 'regular' Office 2016. So where's the catch, was my idea. Turns out to be the management. No way in 365 to create a deployment. Ok, well, so be it. I like to be in control of what gets installed, but hey. Downloaded and installed the Group Policy templates for Office 2016 and configured the whole thing. The GPO setting DO get deployed, but the Office program's don't honor them. I took a while to find it, but then i got to a page comparing the different Office versions. And there it was - no GPO support for Office 365. Can somebody explain WHY this imho crucial management tool is unavailable in Office 365?

Simon Weel

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Simon,

>>no GPO support for Office 365

Actually, not all Office 365 plans. If you buy Office as part of Office 365, your license plan determines whether you can use Group Policy to manage your Office programs or not.

The Office Applications Service Description lists which Office 365 plans support Group Policy. Unfortunately, Office 365 Business, Office 365 Business Essentials and Office 365 Business Premium don't support Group Policy.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:43 AM
  • Actually, not all Office 365 plans.

I know, but I'm curious as to WHY Microsoft decided to disable the use of GPO's in this case? It makes no sense to me...

Simon Weel

Monday, March 27, 2017 7:17 AM
  • This started with Office 365, MS now divide their product more. I get it's an "economic" decision, which will force people to purchase a high edition of Office product which is of course more expensive.

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:30 AM
  • This started with Office 365, MS now divide their product more. I get it's an "economic" decision

Hmm, must be higher economics - pay more to get less. I.e. you get GPO functionality, but no online functionality...

Anyway, MS isn't making things easier for the IT manager....

Simon Weel

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 7:50 AM
  • That's true.
    Tuesday, April 4, 2017 8:43 AM
  • installed, but hey. Downloaded and installed the Group Policy templates for Office 2016 and configured the whole thing. The GPO setting DO get deployed, but the Office program's don't honor them. I took a while to find it, 

Just looked into different Office 365 versions and to my surprise, the Office 365 ProPlus version DOES support Group Policy management. And it's not that much more expensive compared with the Business version. https://technet.microsoft.com/nl-nl/library/office-applications-service-description.aspx

But before I'll make the switch, I want to make sure the ProPlus version really DOES support Group Policy management?

Simon Weel

Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:49 PM
  • catch, was my idea. Turns out to be the management. No way in 365 to create a deployment. Ok, well, so be it. I like to be in control of what gets 

And BTW, you actually can create some sort of deployment with the Office 2016 Deployment Tool. It's crude, but at least one has the choice of what NOT to install.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Overview-of-the-Office-2016-Deployment-Tool-bb5b62d9-1168-47e9-9d54-15a958acfcca?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Simon Weel

Thursday, June 8, 2017 1:52 PM
  • Wow, just now seeing this...I'm stunned. No GP support whatsoever? Sure, give me the tools to deploy, register, etc., but not maintain consistency? This is beyond dumb. But hey, keeping people from purposely/accidentally changing the Office product settings is worth the extra $7.50/month, right? NOT! Clearly someone @ Microsoft needs to get a dose of real life...small businesses (love that the "less than 250 seats" designation is considered to be small) use some of the big boy tools too!
    Monday, August 21, 2017 5:37 PM
  • No GP support whatsoever?

Well, it depends on the version. At the time I wrote the initial message, there was no GPO support for Office 365 Business or other version, besides the 'big' ones. A couple of weeks later, the ProPlus version appeared on the market and this one DOES support GPO.

But as for the reason why GPO support is disabled in some versions in the first place.... still puzzels me.

Microsoft is pretty clear about what a small business should do - everything in the cloud. I guess I could live with that, IF Office where the only application used. But small firms can use 'big' tools as well. Like our firm uses Autodesk Revit and Navisworks extensively and they are resource-hungry. Not you average applications to run in the cloud.

Oh well, I guess there will be a time someone discovers you can run programs on a computer that isn't connected to anything and still get the job done :)

Simon Weel

Tuesday, August 22, 2017 7:01 AM
  • Yeah, my initial response/entry was during a high level of emotion -- I recently left an organization that utilized ProPlus, so I (ignorantly) enjoyed the benefits of GPO support for quite some time. At this new organization, we benefit from the Business Premium (I'm sorry, but I don't feel as though it is premium). While I could go on and "upgrade" to the E3 subscription, doing so serves very little benefit other than to spend more of someone else's money. We don't need/use Access, we aren't held to eDiscovery/Archive requirements, etc. So here we are -- GPO at the local AD level with partial deployment and consistency controls in play. I've often said Microsoft should stop playing around their smoke and mirrors tactics (naming conventions, versions, subscription levels, etc.) and just provide its customer with plain and simple, upfront language that makes it easy to remain a customer. It doesn't have to be this complicated -- it simply increases angst and decreases the justification of their many, many (too) flavors. How about doing what the traditional cable TV companies in the US refuse to do...al-a-carte?
    Friday, September 8, 2017 1:52 PM
  • You can get your resource hungry applications like Revit and Naviswork on cloud. I have worked with clients on using these and many other resource hungry applications. Just depends on what kind of resources are required (CPU/Memory/GPU/CUDA cores).

Regards 
    Anurag 
    www.apps4rent.com

Saturday, September 9, 2017 10:49 PM