What is OLK15message files and how to recover it? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone, 

Can anyone explain to me what is an OLK15message file, what it has to do with Outlook 2016 for mac? Actually, my outlook mac database got corrupted and someone told me that Outlook Mac stores its database in OLK15 message files. Is that so? If yes then how can I recover OLK15message files in order to restore my Outlook 2016 for Mac? 

Please keep the explanation basic as I am not at aware of complex technological terms. Thanks

Friday, March 16, 2018 11:35 AM

Answers

• OLK files are temporary files are maintained by the Outlook mac profile in the form of OLK. The OLK extension based files are used for individually maintaining the data of a respective profile. OLK14/15 files are stored in the Identity folder of the corresponding profile to which it belongs. OLK file belongs to multiple components of the profile and is not restricted to just storing a temporary copy of messages.

The Location of OLK14/15 files is: /Users//Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data/Message Sources

Now as these are temporary files so there is no inbuilt system in Outlook 2016 for mac to recover the data. You can either rebuild your identity in order to restore your data or try to reinstall Outlook 2016 mac. 

However, there are third-party apps that help you to recover data even from OLKmessage files. Here is one I got while searching for OLK recovery: http://www.olk14messagerecovery.com/

Please note that this is a paid third-party app.
    • Marked as answer by Mike76Baker Friday, March 23, 2018 8:19 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:28 PM

All replies

• OLK15message file are backend email files of Outlook 206 for Mac. Like OLM File it can also get corrupt. As per my knowledge, There is no way to recover it other than any third party software.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 1:04 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Agree with Jerry Frey, there is no built-in option in Outlook 2016 for Mac to recover it.

What's your account type? Exchange, POP3 or IMAP?

As your database got corrupted, you could create a new profile and re-configure your account.

Here is an article for your reference.

Manage profiles or identities in Outlook for Mac

Hope this is helpful to you. If you have more concern about this issue, please feel free to tell me.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Wednesday, March 21, 2018 9:10 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2018 2:39 AM
  • OLK files are temporary files are maintained by the Outlook mac profile in the form of OLK. The OLK extension based files are used for individually maintaining the data of a respective profile. OLK14/15 files are stored in the Identity folder of the corresponding profile to which it belongs. OLK file belongs to multiple components of the profile and is not restricted to just storing a temporary copy of messages.

The Location of OLK14/15 files is: /Users//Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/Outlook/Outlook 15 Profiles/Main Profile/Data/Message Sources

Now as these are temporary files so there is no inbuilt system in Outlook 2016 for mac to recover the data. You can either rebuild your identity in order to restore your data or try to reinstall Outlook 2016 mac. 

However, there are third-party apps that help you to recover data even from OLKmessage files. Here is one I got while searching for OLK recovery: http://www.olk14messagerecovery.com/

Please note that this is a paid third-party app.
    • Marked as answer by Mike76Baker Friday, March 23, 2018 8:19 PM
    Thursday, March 22, 2018 10:28 PM
  • Thanks for the insight. That article was really helpful.
    Friday, March 23, 2018 8:20 PM