Replica Identifiers RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone know what the replica identifiers are used for on an Exchange mailbox database?

I am running into a quota issue for the replica identifiers for a mailbox database but haven't found anywhere where it states what they are used for on a mailbox database.

Is the quota pool for these within the same range as the named properties or are they part of a separate quota pool/table than the named properties.

This TechNet article is not very clear.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851492(v=exchg.80).aspx

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 5:06 PM

All replies

• Follow the link in the KB article you cite. It takes you to this page:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851493(v=exchg.80).aspx

The maximum value is 0x7fff, or decimal 32767.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 1:15 AM
  • Thank you for the reply but that article is not very clear either and it is not correct as well. The article states that the default limit for the replica identifiers is 8k but it is actually 16k and it seems that the pool is different as well. My replica identifiers are currently at 16k for some databases but it is still allowing me to create named properties which would suggest to me that they are within different limits of the 32767.

Also, that article does not state what the replica identifiers are used for on a mailbox database. I know what they are for on a public folder database but why would a mailbox database use them for?

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:55 AM
  • Hi,

Named Properties consists of both "Named Props Quota" and "NonMAPI Named Props Quota". When we get a warning error event 9667 which describes that the number of named properties have reached the quota limit. At this time, we need to add both the "Named Props Quota" and "NonMAPI Named Props Quota" registry keys with values greater than the default.

About the quota of Replica indentifier, the value is used by public folder replication, we don't need to increase this value for mailbox database.

Besides that, we can use Performance Monitor to monitor the rate at which the named properties and replica identifiers are created in our environment. Then we can analyze the performance data to identify trends.

Best regards,
    Belinda

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 12:37 PM
  • Thank you for your reply but if we don't need to increase this value for mailbox databases then what is it used for and what is using it up? Something on the mailbox database is using it as it has hit the default limit on some of my databases. Also in the TechNet article it states that if the issue occurs on a mailbox database, then all mailboxes need to be moved off of it and the database deleted.

technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb851492(v=exchg.80).aspx

" The issue that limits the availability of named properties also affects public folder replica identifiers. There is a maximum limit of 32,767 property IDs for each database. When this limit is reached for a specific database, Exchange can no longer create any new property IDs.

If this issue occurs on a mailbox database, you must create a new mailbox database, move all the mailboxes to the new database, and delete the mailbox database that has reached the limit for property IDs. Then you may create a new mailbox database and move the mailboxes back to that mailbox database. "

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:26 PM
  • If you're having a problem with replica id's then please post the application log event. Use the "Copy" button to get the whole thing in text format so you don't try to post some tiny screenshot.

Wednesday, March 12, 2014 9:40 PM
  • Event ID: 9669

Failed to create a new replica identifier for database "SG\DB" because the number of replica identifiers reached the quota limit (16384).

User attempting to create the replica identifier: "user"

Here is the counter for the database for the replica identifiers, it is at the limit.

[PS] D:\Scripts>get-counter -ComputerName servername -counter "\\servername\MSexchangeIS Mailbox(SG-MB)\Ro
    ws in ReplidMap Table" | select -ExpandProperty countersamples

Path                                                                InstanceName                                                        CookedValue
    ----                                                                     ------------                                                           -----------
     \\servername\MSexchangeISmailbox(                        SG-MB                                                                16383

Thursday, March 13, 2014 12:54 PM
  • And, if you would, run these, please:

MailboxDatabase | fl name,storagegroup,guid
    PublicFolderDatabase | fl name,storagegroup,guid

The Event log refers to the database "SG/DB" but you're getting the counter for "SG-MB". I'm not sure you're looking at the correct database.

If you really are encountering that limit on ReplIDs then increasing the quota to, say, 20000 should buy you a little time to get a handle on what you're going to do to lower the number of those items in your database.

I don't know what role ReplIDs play in a mailbox database, though.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:21 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I edited the storagegroup/database names out. I will increase the quotas for the replid's. I was just inquiring on what they were used for as there wasn't anything out there from MS about what they actually are for in a MDB.

Thank you for the assistance.

Sunday, March 16, 2014 3:16 AM