Exchange 2016 auto reply rule fail to forward sender RRS feed

• Question

• Just upgraded from 2007 to 2016

In past, there is a rule of that mailbox for any incoming mails forward to UserA, UserB and UserC

After upgraded to 2016, when UserC send an email to that mailbox, only UserA and UserB receive that emails, not UserC

is it protective measure of exchange server to prevent dead loop?

it seems it is a global setting to apply to all mailboxes.

Possible to disable it?  Thanks a lot.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:16 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Based on my test and research, I can reproduce this behavior in my environment and it's an expect behavior.

If you check the message header in forwarding message, you can find a message header: "X-MS-Exchange-Inbox-Rules-Loop: user@contoso.com". Also, you can find "OriginalFromAddress" items in Message tracking log. Figure as below:

It's used to prevent loop for automatic message, for example auto-reply, auto-forwarding.

If you remain want to forwarding message to original sender, you can use ForwardingAddress parameter by Set-Mailbox.
    Note: we can add all forwarding address to a distribution list, then configure this DL as ForwardingAddress. More details, refer to email forwarding for a mailbox.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Allen_WangJF Friday, December 9, 2016 3:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by TW88 Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:05 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test and research, I can reproduce this behavior in my environment and it's an expect behavior.

If you check the message header in forwarding message, you can find a message header: "X-MS-Exchange-Inbox-Rules-Loop: user@contoso.com". Also, you can find "OriginalFromAddress" items in Message tracking log. Figure as below:

It's used to prevent loop for automatic message, for example auto-reply, auto-forwarding.

If you remain want to forwarding message to original sender, you can use ForwardingAddress parameter by Set-Mailbox.
    Note: we can add all forwarding address to a distribution list, then configure this DL as ForwardingAddress. More details, refer to email forwarding for a mailbox.

Best Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Allen_WangJF Friday, December 9, 2016 3:09 AM
    • Marked as answer by TW88 Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:05 AM
    Thursday, December 8, 2016 7:47 AM
  • Thanks a lot.
    Sunday, December 11, 2016 9:05 AM