Can only boot with two HDD's installed RRS feed

• Question

• I discovered that I can only boot with two HDD installed. I have two Seagate SATA II drives. If I disconnect the 'slave' drive Windows will not boot. If I plug the 'slave' back in it'll boot fine. I tried booting from the install disk and 'Repair StartUp' option but windows said it couldn't repair the problem. I've heard that if you install Vista with two drives it puts a boot file on the second drive also. I checked Disk Management and found that BOTH drives are listed as having Active, Primary Partitions. There seems to be no way to correct this. That sucks, now I have DOUBLE the chances of my computer not booting since a corrupt boot file on EITHER disk will keep me from booting. Why would Vista do that?
    Thursday, April 10, 2008 12:07 AM

Answers

• my guess would be that the boot information was save to the slave drive. I think this would happen if the bios boot priority was set to boot the slave before the master when you installed windows.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I haven't heard about that Windows Vista will need a second disk for any boot files except you are using a hardware RAID 0. Could you tell us on which step the computer stopped?  Are you using the second hard disk to save the only page file?

Please also check the BIOS options if there's any mistake.

Friday, April 11, 2008 9:55 AM
  • my guess would be that the boot information was save to the slave drive. I think this would happen if the bios boot priority was set to boot the slave before the master when you installed windows.

Sunday, April 13, 2008 8:48 PM