"The data source control failed to execute the insert command." RRS feed

• Question

• I have creared a workfolw in sharepoint desginer for the list "Test". The codition is if the address field equals "Nowshera" then add a new item to te list. but when i start the workflow i got this error. "The data source control failed to execute the insert command. "

Can someone help me?

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 19, 2010 8:11 AM SharePoint WorkFlow is not enough as title. Title re-written and post will be moved to the correct forum
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, April 19, 2010 8:11 AM workflow questions go to the workflow forum. (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Monday, April 19, 2010 6:52 AM

Answers

• Hi,

There can be a variety of reasons for this error; it's just indicating it couldn't do it.

1.) There was a bug, not certain when it was patched...are you fully patched to SP2 and with last fall's hotfixes?

2.) Is there a data type problem on the new list item?  i.e. if your new item has a numeric field, but you try to put a text value against it.

3.) Do you have permission to insert it?

I'd check the sharepoint logs first and see if you can get any more clues as to what's going wrong, if nothing there then try isolating the spd workflow to it's barest possible elements (just inserting a new list item) to try to isolate the problem.

Best regards,

S'

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, April 30, 2010 8:26 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:59 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There can be a variety of reasons for this error; it's just indicating it couldn't do it.

1.) There was a bug, not certain when it was patched...are you fully patched to SP2 and with last fall's hotfixes?

2.) Is there a data type problem on the new list item?  i.e. if your new item has a numeric field, but you try to put a text value against it.

3.) Do you have permission to insert it?

I'd check the sharepoint logs first and see if you can get any more clues as to what's going wrong, if nothing there then try isolating the spd workflow to it's barest possible elements (just inserting a new list item) to try to isolate the problem.

Best regards,

S'

• Marked as answer by Seven M Friday, April 30, 2010 8:26 AM
    Monday, April 19, 2010 4:59 PM
  • This problem was caused by SharePoint Foundation 2010 SP2. I resolved it by requesting the latest hotfix. Found at the below page

"http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/ff800847.aspx"

Friday, May 2, 2014 10:19 AM