App-V app not deploying to machine via SCCM RRS feed

• Question

• We are currently running SCCM SP1 in our production environment and upgrading to R2/SP2 in the next few weeks.  I have a virtual lab that I created to test out the R2/Sp2 upgrade.  Everything appears to have been successful.  I am starting to test out App-V in the lab.  I sequenced an application and imported it into Packages using the Virtual Application Package wizard.  It has successfully copied to the dp.  On our test client, I installed the App-V client and rebooted.  I now have a new H:\ drive that shows up.  All of the services for the app-v client appear to be running.  I advertised my virtual package to a collection where the client resides and set it to download and execute via the advertisement, but after refreshing my policy and waiting for hours, it hasn't installed or even shown up in Run Advertised Programs on the client.  We are not streaming from dps as I mentioned, just trying to do download and execute.  I can successfully deploy normal apps to the machine and they show up in Run Advertised Programs and install.  However, I'm not sure what to check here to ascertain why the application is not showing up on the client.  It is like the client isn't seeing the advertisement, but it is definitely pointed at a collection that has the client in question in it.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:45 PM

Answers

• I figured out what the issue was.  Under Site Settings->Client Agents on our Central Site, I had to enable virtualization under Advertised Programs Client Agent.  Also over the weekend, my SA's moved my VMs to different hosts without telling me and they weren't talking to eachother anymore.  After I enabled virtualization as listed above, it installed successfully.  Interesting that I hadn't seen that setting mentioned in any of the R2 installation docs that I recall.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would start reading the SCCM-logs to verify if the client really has received the advertisement and if so, what it does next.

One common thing is that people usually use BITS and restrict the speed of any download, which in app-vs case often delayeds the execution by hours.

List of log-files can be located here;
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb693897.aspx

/Znack
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 5:56 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. 

Before I got your reply I tried resequencing the app following all of the naming convention best practices in the sequencing doc.  I imported it into my virtual lab and created a new virtual package again, and a new advertisement set to download and execute.  I refreshed the policy on the client, and now there is a virtualapp.log file in the ccm\logs folder.  The app still didn't install, but at least there is a log file with some errors in it relating to virtual apps.  Also, I noticed that the app is not showing up still in Run Advertised Programs even though I checked "Allow users to run program independently of assignments"--is that expected with app-v?

Here are the contents of the VirtualApp.log file on the client.  I googled around but couldn't find any info about it.

<![LOG[Could not open the registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\VirtualAppPackages\{E66EE8FD-AE7D-423A-AA05-74FBA102FD9B} (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:46.910+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3816" file="vapppackageinfo.cpp:142">
    <![LOG[CVAppPackageInfo::LoadFromRegistry() failed for package guid [{E66EE8FD-AE7D-423A-AA05-74FBA102FD9B}]. (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:46.910+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3816" file="vapppackageinfo.cpp:184">
    <![LOG[CVAppRegistration::ExecuteDelete failed for virtual application. (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:46.910+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3816" file="registrationhandler.cpp:340">
    <![LOG[Could not open the registry key SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Mobile Client\Software Distribution\VirtualAppPackages\{E66EE8FD-AE7D-423A-AA05-74FBA102FD9B} (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:48.426+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3292" file="vapppackageinfo.cpp:142">
    <![LOG[CVAppPackageInfo::LoadFromRegistry() failed for package guid [{E66EE8FD-AE7D-423A-AA05-74FBA102FD9B}]. (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:48.426+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3292" file="vapppackageinfo.cpp:184">
    <![LOG[CVAppRegistration::ExecuteDelete failed for virtual application. (0x80070002)]LOG]!><time="14:30:48.426+420" date="01-28-2010" component="VAppRegistration" context="" type="3" thread="3292" file="registrationhandler.cpp:340">

Any idea what is going on?
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:48 PM
  • Not sure what is wrong in your setup. 

First, I assume that you used SCCM to deploy the App-V client itself via download and run?  This proves out the basic setup with SCCM.  For example, if the test PC is not in a "fast boundary", download and run won't work and you have to use BITS, which means you have to install IIS.

Next, the log file in question would indicate that the client got something and tried to deal with it.  Not that it helps me understand what is wrong.  Other SCCM log files will probably help you link the GUID ( the {E66EE8FD...} thing to the package, but since you only have one virtual package that doesn't help.  But you might find other helpful messages there.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:33 PM
  • I figured out what the issue was.  Under Site Settings->Client Agents on our Central Site, I had to enable virtualization under Advertised Programs Client Agent.  Also over the weekend, my SA's moved my VMs to different hosts without telling me and they weren't talking to eachother anymore.  After I enabled virtualization as listed above, it installed successfully.  Interesting that I hadn't seen that setting mentioned in any of the R2 installation docs that I recall.
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, February 2, 2010 10:04 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, April 2, 2011 9:20 AM
    Monday, February 1, 2010 11:23 PM