Taskbar explorer jumplists - how does frequent and recent work? RRS feed

• Question

• Am i right in saying that only when you access a file (like playing a movie in a folder) that the containing folder shows up in the recent part of the jumplist?

Also i dont seem to have any frequent list in explorer on the taskbar why is this?
    Sunday, March 14, 2010 12:41 PM

Answers

• The jump list is there.  Remember:  frequent is not the same as recent.  Just because you recently opened a folder, does not mean that it will show up on that list.  You have to repeatedly go to the folder many times before it shows up as a frequent item.

If you want to force a folder to always be in the Jump list, just drag the folder into the Explorer icon on the taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Rezelute Monday, March 15, 2010 10:00 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:14 PM

All replies

• The system provides two different categories: Recent and Frequent. This displayed category depends on the design of the program. Which of the two is best for your application depends on its nature. For more information about the difference between the two categories, please refer to the link below:

http://blogs.microsoft.co.il/blogs/sasha/archive/2009/02/20/windows-7-taskbar-jump-lists.aspx ;

As your second question, once you uncheck the option befor "Store and display recently opened items in the Start menu and the taskbar" on the properties of Taskbar and Start Menu, you would lose the frequent list. If you want to obtain the list again, you can create a new account, then you will find the Frequent list in the new account.

I hope this helps.

John
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:41 AM
  • Thanks for reply,
    Im talking about Windows Explorer on the taskbar by the way, this is strange because i never saw a frequent list in the explorer taskbar to begin with. I have never unticked that option before. Is the frequent list in explorer possibly not included in Windows 7 home edition?
    Monday, March 15, 2010 11:13 AM
  • The jump list is there.  Remember:  frequent is not the same as recent.  Just because you recently opened a folder, does not mean that it will show up on that list.  You have to repeatedly go to the folder many times before it shows up as a frequent item.

If you want to force a folder to always be in the Jump list, just drag the folder into the Explorer icon on the taskbar.

If this was helpful, please vote by clicking the green triangle. If it solves the issue, click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Rezelute Monday, March 15, 2010 10:00 PM
    Monday, March 15, 2010 9:14 PM
  • Thanks for clarity Shawn
    Monday, March 15, 2010 10:00 PM