none
Preferences - Drive Mappings

Question

• Hi Folks,

We currently use login scripts to map users network shares when they first logon in the morning, we're talking about moving to use group policy preferences to map drives, but my line manager is asking questions like what is the benefit for the business to move to preferences.

So can anyone point me to any links that explain such things to explain the pros & cons of moving away from scripts to use preferences?

Thanks

Owen

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 11:54 AM

Answers

• According to this Microsoft link below, there is no straightforward answer to this question. Please review it, and after taking all things into consideration you should have a better discussion with you line manager.   Windows Group Policy vs. Logon Scripts. What’s the right option?

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Kirill Nikolaev Friday, November 04, 2016 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ozzo76 Monday, November 07, 2016 2:38 PM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:09 PM
  • > So can anyone point me to any links that explain such things to explain
    > the pros & cons of moving away from scripts to use preferences?

My experience for drive/printer mappings: Stay with logon scripts. But
    that's only my opinion :)

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Hi Owen,
    For me or someone who are not familiar with script, the biggest benefit of GPP is that we’ll be able to manage the setting in the UI, target configuration with cool filtering, and use the reporting to see what we did.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Hi Owen,
    I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Appreciate for your feedback. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:46 AM

All replies

• According to this Microsoft link below, there is no straightforward answer to this question. Please review it, and after taking all things into consideration you should have a better discussion with you line manager.   Windows Group Policy vs. Logon Scripts. What’s the right option?

Best Regards, Todd Heron | Active Directory Consultant

• Proposed as answer by Kirill Nikolaev Friday, November 04, 2016 2:06 PM
    Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:09 PM
  • > So can anyone point me to any links that explain such things to explain
    > the pros & cons of moving away from scripts to use preferences?

My experience for drive/printer mappings: Stay with logon scripts. But
    that's only my opinion :)

Wednesday, November 02, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Hi Owen,
    For me or someone who are not familiar with script, the biggest benefit of GPP is that we’ll be able to manage the setting in the UI, target configuration with cool filtering, and use the reporting to see what we did.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 03, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Thanks for your reply appreciate the advice.
    Thursday, November 03, 2016 9:26 AM
  • Hi Owen,
    I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
    Appreciate for your feedback. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, it will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, November 07, 2016 1:46 AM