Mouse "sticks" then releases once per 10 seconds, System CPU usage oscillates between 0 and 100% RRS feed

• Question

• I'm just posting this so I will find it next time it happens and I've forgotten what was causing it on my PC... instead of spending several days pounding my head against the wall like I did last week.

Mouse "freezes" for a second every 10 seconds or so. Task Manager shows "System" is going to 100% CPU and back to 0 on the same cycle. From 0 to 100 and back, over and over. The Performance tab shows almost a sine wave from top to bottom.

ANSWER: Make sure there are no print jobs waiting in queue. Seen with an HP 3005 using Universal Printing PCL6 driver for a USB printer that is disconnected but shared and /not/ set to "Use offline". Clearing the queue solves the problem. Setting the printer to offline prevents recurrence.

Monday, January 5, 2015 6:00 PM

Answers

• ANSWER: Make sure there are no print jobs waiting in queue. Seen with an HP 3005 using Universal Printing PCL6 driver for a USB printer that is disconnected but shared and /not/ set to "Use offline". Clearing the queue solves the problem. Setting the printer to offline prevents recurrence.

• Marked as answer by James Newton Monday, January 5, 2015 6:11 PM
    Monday, January 5, 2015 6:11 PM