Windows 7 Browse for folder New Folder button disabled RRS feed

• Question

• I have a namespace extension that is integrated into the common dialogs and windows explorer.  If you navigate to one of our folders in the common dialog or the folder browser the New Folder button is either missing (Common Dialog command bar)  or is disabled (Folder Browser).    In prior versions of windows we had to change certain IShellFolder->GetAttributesOf flags to enable these botttons.  We also had to listen to differnt command id's in different versions of windows.    What is the trick to get the new folder buttons to work in windows 7?   Our current implementation works on 32\64 versions of windows  through windows vista.   I have not verified 2008 server at this point.
    • Edited by Eugene Eley Thursday, August 27, 2009 2:52 PM wrong group
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 6:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't quite clear about the extension you create for folder options. However, as I know, we can use the Folder Options Extensions in Group Policy to configure various Windows Explorer settings such as file type and application start-up associations, and folder view options. For more information, please refer to the following website.

Folder Options Extension
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731818.aspx

Hope this helps. Thanks.
    Dale Qiao
    • Marked as answer by Dale Qiao Monday, August 31, 2009 12:55 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Eugene Eley Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:03 PM
    Friday, August 28, 2009 9:19 AM
  • I am not refering to that type of folder options.   In dataprovider namespace extensions the Ishellfolder2 has a GetAttributesOf method that controls attributes of the namespace items.  Examples of these flags:

SFGAO_HASPROPSHEET | SFGAO_FOLDER | SFGAO_HASSUBFOLDER | SFGAO_BROWSABLE | SFGAO_NEWCONTENT | SFGAO_FILESYSTEM

These flags control how the common dialog behaves in many cases.  You also have to provide these attributes in the registry for the root node of the custom namespace.  As new versions of windows have been released we have had to add certain of these flags to the registry at the root or the new folder buttons in common dialogs would be disabled on any folders below the root level. 

Wednesday, September 2, 2009 10:37 PM