UGX Fingerprint Sensor RRS feed

• Question

•   Hi Guys and Girls,

I've been using the beta over the weekend, and I have to say I am very impressed. I've managed to get all but one bit of hardware working properly - the UGX fingerprint sensor that is built into my laptop.

I went on the UGX site and got the latest driver (after trying SONY's driver, that wouldn't even install), and the sensor now appears in the Devices and Printers under Unspecified. I can't seem to get any further - I'd have liked to try out the new functionality but I'm not sure an appropiate driver exists yet.

If you need any more information, just let me know.

================

SONY Vaio VGN-TZ18GN, Windows 7 32 Bit

Intel Core 2 Duo U7600
    1GB RAM
    32GB SSD
    8GB ExpressCard (all of which is assigned to ReadyBoost)
    4GB Sony Memory Stick (to which some applications are installed)
    16GB SD Card (to which some applications are installed)

Adobe CS3
    Adobe Flash Player 9 and 10
    ImageMixer3
    Live Mesh
    Office 2007
    Silverlight
    SQL Server 2005
    Nero 9
    PowerISO
    Vista Codec Package (ffdshow, etc)
    Windows Live Essentials Pack
    Windows Mobile Device Center
    WinPcap 4.0.2
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:27 AM

Answers

• That makes things easier , yes ;)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/8e90e057-8bcb-4e2a-863e-a164cb072fdc

• Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:41 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:43 PM

All replies

• Do you have any more information on the bio scanner than ugx, ie model number as searches for that are coming up with nothing related.

have you tried going to the device and right clicking select update driver then pointing it to the one that you downloaded?

also have you tried installing as administrator and with compatability trobleshooting for which ever operating system the drivers were originally for?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:57 AM
  • That's most likely because it's not made by UGX - that's the bluetooth radio I use...

Sorry about that.

It's a UPEK Fingerprint Sensor;
    Hardware ID: USB\VID_147E&PID_2016

Is that any use to you?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:40 PM
  • That makes things easier , yes ;)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprohardware/thread/8e90e057-8bcb-4e2a-863e-a164cb072fdc

• Marked as answer by Alex T Jr Thursday, January 22, 2009 3:41 AM
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:43 PM
  • I have the same model running Windows 7 Enterprise RTM. The "Motion Eye" integrated camera doesn't seem to be supported. Any tips?

Thursday, August 27, 2009 7:31 AM
  • Sanginius: Thanks for that - the driver automatically gets installed with the RC (and most likely RTM). Sorry for the confusion.

Mandalay: It's not supported by default in the RC (and most likely the RTM), but jump onto any search engine, and copy/paste the second hardware ID into it (the one without &REV on the end).

Make sure you get the right driver, the x64 driver is signed. The only thing I found was that the activity LED for the camera stopped working under 7, but I imagine this will be fixed when (if) Sony actually get round to writing any drivers for 7... I'm pretty sure they're still using the same camera and other parts in their current range of laptops.
    Thursday, August 27, 2009 8:11 AM
  • Thanks tehSpanna. I am using Windows 7 Enterprise - 32 Bit version.  (Not sure if the x64 is the 64 bit driver?)

I tried to update the driver using the x64 driver (Courtesy of http://www.ralphg.com/public/) but get "The best driver for your software is already installed." The current "driver" is from Microsoft and seems to be generic rather than for the camera in my Sony which I understand is a Ricoh device.

The Hardware ID is USB\VID_05CA&PID_183A&MI_00

I also tried running the Vista driver in compatibility mode but it errors with "Failed to Update Driver".

I expect you are 100% right about Sony continuing to use this hardware. Their help line was still learning to spell "Windows 7" but were very polite.... I may have to be a little more patient.

Monday, August 31, 2009 10:55 AM