Are files uploaded in Sharepoint 2007 encrypted? RRS feed

• Question

• Are files loaded into Sharepoint 2007 automatically encrypted?
    Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:14 PM

Answers

• No, not that I'm aware of. You can encrypt SharePoint web traffic with an SSL certificate, something you should definitely do if your site is accessible outside of your internal network, but by default that traffic is unencrypted. Files uploaded into SharePoint are stored in a digital format as binary objects, but they are not encrypted unless you're using an encryption solution in SQL Server to secure your content databases.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:46 PM
  • In addition to John's reply, SQL databases rely on Microsoft's permissions and security, so no one is getting into that database without the proper permissions.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:50 PM

All replies

• No, not that I'm aware of. You can encrypt SharePoint web traffic with an SSL certificate, something you should definitely do if your site is accessible outside of your internal network, but by default that traffic is unencrypted. Files uploaded into SharePoint are stored in a digital format as binary objects, but they are not encrypted unless you're using an encryption solution in SQL Server to secure your content databases.

John

MCITP and MCTS: SharePoint, Virtualization, Project Server 2007
    My books on Amazon: The SharePoint 2010 Disaster Recovery Guide and The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    My blog: My Central Admin.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:46 PM
  • In addition to John's reply, SQL databases rely on Microsoft's permissions and security, so no one is getting into that database without the proper permissions.

@DavidLozzi
    DavidLozzi.com
    About.me

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 5:50 PM