Exporting Outlook contacts & importing into Office 365 "People" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user that exported contacts from Outlook 2013 using the export/import utility in Outlook, he chose to save as a .csv

This user no longer has access to desktop Outlook at his new company but he wants to import the contacts into his Office 365 account under the "People" tab in Office 365.

Every time we try to import the file we get this error:

"The format of the CSV file isn't correct. Please be sure that the file was exported in the Outlook CSV format."

I found this article that mentioned removing quotation marks in the CSV file but I still get the error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3145388

I though of using PowerShell to import the contacts into Office 365 but that will expose this one users contacts to all the other users. I need these contacts to go into the users "People" tab.

Does anyone know of a workaround or fix for this problem?

Wednesday, June 22, 2016 10:57 PM

Answers

• Every time we try to import the file we get this error:

"The format of the CSV file isn't correct. Please be sure that the file was exported in the Outlook CSV format."

I found this article that mentioned removing quotation marks in the CSV file but I still get the error:

#1 - First step just to eliminate the CSV file being corrupted - open the CSV file in Excel and save it again. The file should open immediately without any questions about the file structure

#2 - Just to confirm - when you refer to "Office 365 account" - is that for a hosted Exchange Mailbox account or is this in reference to an Outlook.com account?

#3 - As for that MS article - have absolutely no idea what that is all about - any field that contains (1)  the field delimiter character (the character defined to separate each field in the row) OR (2) a multi-line value (i.e. street address etc) absolutely requires that the data for that field be bracketed by <field qualifier> characters which in 99.99% of the time are the double-quote characters. Take away the field qualifer characters and being able to import the file correctly would take nothing less then "magic".

The only time you don't need field qualifier characters is when neither field types (1) or (2) as described above exist which would be absolutely insane for a general purpose importer.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:17 AM

All replies

• Every time we try to import the file we get this error:

#1 - First step just to eliminate the CSV file being corrupted - open the CSV file in Excel and save it again. The file should open immediately without any questions about the file structure

#2 - Just to confirm - when you refer to "Office 365 account" - is that for a hosted Exchange Mailbox account or is this in reference to an Outlook.com account?

#3 - As for that MS article - have absolutely no idea what that is all about - any field that contains (1)  the field delimiter character (the character defined to separate each field in the row) OR (2) a multi-line value (i.e. street address etc) absolutely requires that the data for that field be bracketed by <field qualifier> characters which in 99.99% of the time are the double-quote characters. Take away the field qualifer characters and being able to import the file correctly would take nothing less then "magic".

The only time you don't need field qualifier characters is when neither field types (1) or (2) as described above exist which would be absolutely insane for a general purpose importer.

Karl Timmermans [Outlook MVP] "Outlook Contact Import/Export/Data Mgmt" http://www.contactgenie.com

Thursday, June 23, 2016 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking to see if above reply is helpful. Let me know if you need further assistance on this.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 27, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.

If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:24 AM
  • I also had the same problem. But working on a Mac. Created .cvs file in Numbers by selecting all contacts in Mac contact book and dragging to first cell of numbers spreadsheet. They all came over. then saving as .cvs file. Got the error message when importing to outlook.com I tried removing the quotes but looking at the file in notepad that made no sense as the quotes were clearly an item delimiter. However, what I did was to move the .cvs file over to a Windows computer, open it in Excel, and save it back to .cvs.  Then I was able to import to outlook.com "People."   The comment above about opening it in Excel suggested this workaround. Thanks!
    Monday, April 17, 2017 10:00 PM