Active Directory 2003 & 2008 (Monitoring) MPs dependance on AD 2000 (Discovery)!?!? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I can only imagine that this is a bug, as it makes no sense that the Active Directory (AD) 2003 Monitoring & AD 2008 Monitoring MPs have dependancies on the AD 2000 Discovery MP!?!? If there is a shared component, then it only makes sense that it go in the "Common Library", no? BTW, this is v6.0.7065.0

Though I've already opened bug ID 544019 on Microsoft Connect, I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this issue.

Thanks,

Larry

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:40 PM

Answers

• I am quoting advice.  I don't have gospel or official MSFT documentation.  Guides, as well as any official documents will contain errata - some of which is unknown.

My advice is to NOT try and optimize the partial files.  If you do, you may have issues you cannot predict.  If that occurs, import the other files (this is what support will tell you)

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by larry.leblanc Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:05 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:06 AM

All replies

• For MP's that consist of multiple files, you should NEVER import only a few of the files based on your understanding of the file names.  There is NO relationship you can count on between the .mp file name and what it may contain.

Always import ALL of the files in a MP if you are using the R2 console or importing from disk. 

Microsoft Corporation
    Friday, March 26, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Good afternoon Dan,

Not meaning to beat a dead horse, but is your statement not limited in this case to the AD MP?  Can you support it with some references to official documentation?  I totally agree with your statement that there are no integrity rules correlating a .MP file name with what it contains, but am I not able to depend on the References section of the .MP file in order to ensure that dependancies are properly met?

I ask these questions for the following reasons:

1 - The AD MP's docs specifically state the following:

"Regardless of the network environment, all these Active Directory management pack files must be imported for the Active Directory Management Pack to monitor replication properly."

OK, so clearly in the case of the AD MP, I have to import all files.

2 - Attempts to import the MP without "AD.2000.Discovery" complain about the dependancy, no doubt due to the References section of the AD.2003.Monitoring & AD.2008.Monitoring MPs, pointing to AD.2000.Discovery

I mean, isn't that what the References section is for?  To prevent the import of MPs whose dependancies are not met.

3 - It seems awfully wasteful to import Management Packs that go unused, as valuable resources, both on the servers and on the clients/agents, are needlessly wasted storing unused objects and running pointless workloads/discoveries.

4 - Other MPs, including the DNS MP, imply that you can safely import specific MP files, with statements such as:

"For the DNS 2008 Management Pack, download the Windows Server Base Operating System Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007 and import:
    • Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library.mp
    • Microsoft.Windows.Server.2008.Discovery.mp
    For the DNS 2003 Management Pack, download the Windows Server Base Operating System Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007 and import:
    • Microsoft.Windows.Server.Library.mp
    • Microsoft.Windows.Server.2003.mp"

I do look forward to your comments,

Larry

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 10:42 PM
  • For AD the discoveries won't run anyway. The discoveries only run against domain controllers of the correct version AND domain controllers are discovered in the internal mp, not the AD mp :)
    Rob Korving
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:12 PM
  • Good morning Rob,

Clearly, I don't have a choice in the case of the AD MPs, they will all have to be imported into the Management Group, as stated in the MP Guide.

However, this does not put to rest the question in regards to other Management Packs.

Is there any general MP best practice documentation that specifically states that all files contained in all MPs absolutely must be imported?

As already mentioned, I totally agree with the earlier statement that there are no integrity rules correlating a .MP file name with what it contains, but I find it unreasonable that I am not able to depends on the References section of the .MP file in order to ensure that dependancies are properly met.

Thanks,

Larry

Thursday, April 1, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I am quoting advice.  I don't have gospel or official MSFT documentation.  Guides, as well as any official documents will contain errata - some of which is unknown.

My advice is to NOT try and optimize the partial files.  If you do, you may have issues you cannot predict.  If that occurs, import the other files (this is what support will tell you)

Microsoft Corporation
    • Marked as answer by larry.leblanc Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:05 PM
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:06 AM