none
The sequence of updates to the Windows Update client RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 but have no intention of accepting the free upgrade to Windows 10.

Since April 2015, there have been a number of updates to the Windows Update client on Windows 7.

KB2990214 (April 2015).  The KB article does not specify that it is an update to the Windows Update client, but does indicate that it is relevant to upgrading to Windows 10.  However, other information on the Internet (even some from Microsoft) suggests that it is indeed an update to the Windows Update client and contains improvements for all operating systems, even those that are not upgrading to Windows 10.  Windows Update offered it as “Important”, so I installed it.

There followed a sequence of specific monthly updates to the Windows Update client.  KB3050265 (June 2015), which was replaced by KB3065987 (July 2015), which was replaced by KB3075851 (August 2015), which was replaced by KB3083324 (September 2015), which was replaced by KB3083710 (October 2015).  Through a mixture of being away for much of the summer, a lack of information and transparency in the KB articles, and conflicting information between the KB article and Windows Update (e.g. KB3065987 - KB article designates it as “Important”, but Windows Update offered it as “Optional Recommended”), I installed only KB3075851, KB3083324, and KB3083710 (which, effectively, is just one update because of the replacement chain).

KB3102810 (November 2015).  The KB article designates it as “Optional”, indicates that it fixes one issue related to upgrading to Windows 10 and one issue that isn’t.  Windows Update offered it as “Important”, but I did not install it because neither issue appears relevant to my system.

KB3112343 (December 2015).  The KB article designates “Optional”.  Windows Update offered it as “Important”, but I did not install it because it does not appear relevant to my system.

Given that these updates started to occur around the time when the offer of a free upgrade to Windows 10 was announced, I could be forgiven for believing that all these updates are really oriented towards easing the upgrade to Windows 10, and that there is little or no benefit to systems that are not upgrading.  Am I correct in this belief?  If not, precisely which ones will benefit my system, even though it is not upgrading to Windows 10?

As a slight aside, if I wanted to uninstall the chain of replacement monthly updates (June 2015 through to October 2015), should I first uninstall the October 2015 update, then the September 2015 update, and then the August 2015 update (i.e. in the reverse order of installation)?
    Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Updates meant to ease upgrade of Windows 7 to Windows 10 can be ignored, if you don't want to move to Windows 10.

Regarding the types of updates, you can have a look at the following link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/understanding-windows-automatic-updating#1TC=windows-7

Kindly follow the Windows Update description in installing updates. For example, if you're seeing an update marked as important under Windows Update, kindly install it, even though the update is being described as recommended/optional in the corresponding KB article.

For uninstallation of updates, any updates can be uninstalled at any point of time. There is no regular sequence like the way they're installed. Further, it's not recommended to uninstall any installed updates, since such updates form as requirement for future updates and that these updates will automatically be installed or at least recommended.

Balaji Kundalam

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:34 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.  However, I do not use, and have never used, automatic updates.  I use Windows Update manually and I review each update that is offered, sometimes by reading the KB article, before making a decision on whether to install it.

One of the problems with this sequence of updates to the Windows Update client (from April 2015 to December 2015) is that the KB articles have not been very transparent.  That is why I have posted this query.  The KB articles would have been more transparent if each one had specified clearly the importance (Important/Optional/Irrelevant) of the update for those systems upgrading to Windows 10 and, separately, the importance (Important/Optional/Irrelevant) of the update for those systems not upgrading to Windows 10.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:54 PM
  • Hi,

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10, I suggest that we could use media creation tool for Windows 10 upgrade.

Refer to the link:

Get Windows 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Best Regards,

Tao

Sunday, January 31, 2016 12:19 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.  However, as I stated in my original post, I do not intend to upgrade to Windows 10.  I am therefore still looking for a clear statement about the importance (= Important/Optional/Irrelevant) of each previously mentioned update to the Windows Update client for a Windows 7 SP1 system that is NOT upgrading to Windows 10.

Friday, February 5, 2016 11:16 AM
  • Hi,

If you are experiencing any troubles in Windows 10, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 8, 2016 9:26 AM