Volume Shrink - Hard-drive reallocation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I've just bought a new laptop with Vista installed, and my first impressions are that I like it. However, my laptop came with a 120gb harddrive that was partitioned, roughly half and half, the intention clearly being to have programmes on one partition an documents etc on the other. I 'volume-shrinked' the programme partition as it had been allocated way too much space, with the intention of re-allocating 15gb of the programme partition to the 'documents' partition.

When I shrink-volumed the partition, it created a separate volume, which I formatted, and now I am completely stuck as to how to incorporate this 'volume' in with the 'documents' partition. When I right-click the new, formatted partition, I go to 'delete' it, in the hope that it will become incorporated in the 'documents' partition, but a message appear saying something about it being an extended volume, and it will become un-useable if I continue. I'm not sure what this means.

Basically, all I want to know is how to get rid of this spare 'volume' and allocate it to my 'documents' partition. Can this be done? Any help would be appreciated, and I can't believe how difficult it has been to find an answer to this.

Thanks in advance.

Thursday, September 20, 2007 9:29 AM