Question about "Parameters" dialog | "Server" tab RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

In Dashboard Designer, in the "Parameters" dialog | "Server" tab, there is a field for the Server URL and for the Server Name.  By default, they both contain the same link.  They both can be edited.  The help file says that they are both used for storing published elements. 

Why do we need the Server URL field?  Or at least why do we need it to be editable? 

Help also says that the Server Name combobox can be used to pick the name of an earlier used server.  I am not seeing it now:

1) I open DD from the Start menu, I see that the "Server" tab contains the name of Server A.

2) I change the server name to "Server B", successfully connect to it, close DD.

3) I open DD from the Start menu again, I see only "Server A" name in the combobox.  I always have to memorize "Server B" name, DD doesn't keep my history.

Is there any convenient way to use one DD client to work with both servers?  Can I modify the Start menu shortcut to launch DD already containing Server B connection string?

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:05 AM

Answers

• Hello Varya,

The server URL field is used to tell you which server this dashboard designer file is connected to. Like you said when you change the server name and connect to it, this actually changes which server the dashboard designer looks for for its items like dashboards, KPIs, scorecards, reports and data sources.

The best way to use the dashboard designer to work with both servers would be to create one .bswx file for each server. So open dashboard designer, change the server name to "Server A". Once you've done this save the file locally as a .bswx file. Then open up a new dashboard designer instance and change the server name to "Server B". Then save that file locally as a .bswx file. Now when you open up either one of those files they will be pointing to the server you selected in the Server URL.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:05 PM

All replies

• Hello Varya,

The server URL field is used to tell you which server this dashboard designer file is connected to. Like you said when you change the server name and connect to it, this actually changes which server the dashboard designer looks for for its items like dashboards, KPIs, scorecards, reports and data sources.

The best way to use the dashboard designer to work with both servers would be to create one .bswx file for each server. So open dashboard designer, change the server name to "Server A". Once you've done this save the file locally as a .bswx file. Then open up a new dashboard designer instance and change the server name to "Server B". Then save that file locally as a .bswx file. Now when you open up either one of those files they will be pointing to the server you selected in the Server URL.

Thanks,

Jon Thomas

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 5:05 PM
  • Hi Jon,

Thanks for your help.  I still have a question though.

The server URL field tells me which server DD is connected to.  If that's a field just for reading this info, then why was it made editable?  To my understanding, if I can enter something there, then I can use that field to enter some parameters, etc., and get a result.  Is it really just for reading?

Sunday, January 27, 2008 10:43 PM