none
FIM 2010 R2 as Directory Synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A customer is currently running on-premises Exchange 2010 and 2013 with Exchange Online Protection (EOP). All Emails flow through EOP to on-premises Edge Transport 2013 Server. When they setup EOP they used FIM 2010 R2 for Active Directory Synchronization.

Customer wants to evaluate Exchange online and we are planning to deploy Hybrid Exchange Infrastructure. We want to know that is there a way to upgrade FIM 2010 R2 to Azure AD Connect? or can we setup additional Directory Synchronization server for Azure AD Connect tool?

or can we leave FIM 2010 R2 as is for Directory Synchronization? or is there any better approach?

Thanks,

Thanks, Sheeraz

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 6:09 PM

Answers

• Hi

I recommend that you set up a new server for Azure AD Connect and leve the current server to synch the on prem AD.

As I recall there is a MA for FIM 2010 R2 to connect to Azure, but I never used it.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi

I recommend that you set up a new server for Azure AD Connect and leve the current server to synch the on prem AD.

As I recall there is a MA for FIM 2010 R2 to connect to Azure, but I never used it.

Wednesday, August 17, 2016 8:30 AM
  • Thanks.

Thanks, Sheeraz

Thursday, August 18, 2016 1:07 PM
  • Just to add - this is the correct and supported topology.

The MA for FIM was originally used where multiple domains and more elaborate scenarios were required, but they've typically been rolled in to Azure AD Connect.  The one scenario where the MA might still be required is where the identity does not and cannot exist in AD (existing perhaps solely in a database), but even that scenario will likely be handled in future versions of AAD Connect.

The MA for FIM, last I heard, was in "feature freeze" and was soon to be deprecated.

Thanks,

Paul.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 9:03 AM