deploy software during login or startup RRS feed

• Question

• we need to deploy a hotfix for OCS client for some of the machines in the domain. During testing, we found that the hotfix closes all the active IM and livemeeting which is not good for our deployment -- it has to be in Software distribution, not Software Update as OCS hotfixes are not from Windows Update. 

We are planning to use SCCM to push it out and make it run during machine startup or user login so no IM or Livemeeting will be killed. How do we achieve that

Login script or GPO are not options for some special reasons in the environment. we can only use SCCM and we have report from SCCM so we know which machines we need to work on.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:08 PM

Answers

• Honestly what I would recommend is for you to use the Program option “Only when no user is logged on”  This will ensure that no user is logon when the SU is applied to the workstation.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

• Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Thursday, March 22, 2012 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Like Garth said, the "only when no user is logged on" option is the only way to do it in SCCM, however in the past I have found this not very successful as there is rarely a window when there is no user logged on. When I deployed the Lync clinet, I wrote a batch file that would pop up a warning message for the user before closing their existing Lync / OCS / LiveMeeting processes, do you think you could reuse parts of this?

@echo off
    ECHO Set wshShell = CreateObject( "WScript.Shell" ) >> usermessages.vbs
    echo wshShell.Popup "The Microsoft Lync 2010 client is about to be installed.  Please close Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer before clicking OK to continue.", 300, "Microsoft Lync 2010 installation" >> usermessages.vbs
    ECHO WScript.Sleep(5000) >> usermessages.vbs
    WSCRIPT.EXE usermessages.vbs
    DEL usermessages.vbs /q
    sc config "TermService" start= auto
    net start TermService
    ECHO Installing Microsoft Lync 2010...
    taskkill /F /IM communicator.exe
    taskkill /F /IM outlook.exe
    taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe
    LyncSetup.exe /Install /Silent
    msiexec.exe /p OUTLOOK.msp /qb-!
    office2007-kb936864-fullfile-x86-en-us.exe /passive /norestart
    msiexec.exe /update Lync.msp /qb-!

echo wshShell.Popup "The Microsoft Lync 2010 client installation was successful and can now be run from the Start Menu.", 300, "Microsoft Lync 2010 installation" >> usermessages.vbs
    DEL usermessages.vbs /q

My Microsoft Core Infrastructure & Systems Management blog - blog.danovich.com.au

• Proposed as answer by danovich_ Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:00 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:00 AM

All replies

• Honestly what I would recommend is for you to use the Program option “Only when no user is logged on”  This will ensure that no user is logon when the SU is applied to the workstation.

http://www.enhansoft.com/

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Like Garth said, the "only when no user is logged on" option is the only way to do it in SCCM, however in the past I have found this not very successful as there is rarely a window when there is no user logged on. When I deployed the Lync clinet, I wrote a batch file that would pop up a warning message for the user before closing their existing Lync / OCS / LiveMeeting processes, do you think you could reuse parts of this?

@echo off
    echo wshShell.Popup "The Microsoft Lync 2010 client is about to be installed.  Please close Microsoft Outlook and Internet Explorer before clicking OK to continue.", 300, "Microsoft Lync 2010 installation" >> usermessages.vbs
    ECHO WScript.Sleep(5000) >> usermessages.vbs
    DEL usermessages.vbs /q
    sc config "TermService" start= auto
    net start TermService
    ECHO Installing Microsoft Lync 2010...
    taskkill /F /IM outlook.exe
    taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe
    LyncSetup.exe /Install /Silent
    msiexec.exe /p OUTLOOK.msp /qb-!
    office2007-kb936864-fullfile-x86-en-us.exe /passive /norestart
    msiexec.exe /update Lync.msp /qb-!

echo wshShell.Popup "The Microsoft Lync 2010 client installation was successful and can now be run from the Start Menu.", 300, "Microsoft Lync 2010 installation" >> usermessages.vbs
    DEL usermessages.vbs /q

My Microsoft Core Infrastructure & Systems Management blog - blog.danovich.com.au

• Proposed as answer by danovich_ Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:00 AM
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 4:00 AM
  • Thanks all.

We already have script to show a warning -- something very similar to danovich's batch file. However, the managers want to use login part as there is no user interruption. We force the computers to restart during the Software Update monthly so we do have a chance to get it run.

As a side note, which credential does it use when running software distribution package? Is it the logged in user? What happens if the user is not part of local admin group? Is there anyway to make the package run under local admin credential or system account. We are using SMS installer to pack the exe files and other batch file together.

thanks again

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:19 PM
  • See http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680462.aspx: "Run with administrative rights"

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:24 PM