Desktop shortcuts and folders disappearing but still virtually available on SSD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've had a bit of an issue today where I loaded up my PC (Windows 7) and half my desktop has disappeared, At the moment as I run dual monitors, when I first attached my second monitor many months ago some of my desktop icons were chucked to the right and some to the left but with this case they have disappeared.

When I shut down my PC last night everything was okay and nothing was missing (I did install a few game updates last night but that is the norm for me) Today, the shortcuts that are missing are still available on my SSD (:D) drive which is set as first boot order. I can search to the desktop folder on the SSD and all shortcuts are intact. The desktop currently running is from my standard hard drive (:C) which was more of a backup and for space. On the "My Computer" screen i'm 100% sure my SSD was first in the list (left in list) but it appears now to have switched with my regular hard drive

Can anyone tell me a way to reverse this? i've tried system restore but as it assumes my last restore point was the windows updates that installed today (As the only restore points it looks for is the hard drive and not SSD) 

I would really appreciate any help. 

Thanks

Thursday, April 23, 2015 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hello Jason2710,

This can happen if the the System Maintenance troubleshooter detects the shortcuts as broken.

For more information, please refer to the following article.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978980

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:42 AM
  • This doesn't appear to be a system maintenance issue as the shortcuts weren't borken and i actually do have a broken shortcut on my dsesktop which remains. It just appears that my :C drive has become the dominant drive and :D is there as a backup but searching the desktop folder has all the links I'm just wondering if there is a way to set it to default drive through windows rather than BIOS? :D has the operating system on it

Thanks

Friday, April 24, 2015 6:26 PM
  • Hello Jason2710,

Please share us the shortcut name that disappear in the desktop.
    Screenshot preferred.

What do you mean about changing the default drive?

Best regards,
    Fangzhou CHEN

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, April 27, 2015 8:10 AM