none
How to give permissions to a user to connect hyper-v vm console in Windows Server 2016

Question

• Hello,

I need to give some users rights to connect directly to a hyper-v vm console in a member domain Hyper-V 2016 server.

I don't want to give the users Local Administrator rights of the server an if is possible I don't want to give them Hyper-V admin rights.

I tried these but without any result:

I installed in every user desktop Hyper-v Manager administration tool and I added them to Hyper-V Administrators local group of Hyper-V server. This didn't work.

I also gave permisssions to connectt  with cmd-let Grant-VMConnectAccess, but didtn't work.

When I try to connect I appears a message "You do not have the required permission to complete this task. Contact the administrator of the authorization policy for the computer.

If I try the same but adding them in Local Administrator group works perfect, but I don't need that.

Can someone help me, please?

Kind regards

Thursday, April 06, 2017 2:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Sir,

>>I installed in every user desktop Hyper-v Manager administration tool and I added them to Hyper-V Administrators local group of Hyper-V server. This didn't work.

I tested it in my lab (windows 10 connect to server 2016 hyper-v server , they are in same domain) .

I added that user account into local group "Hyper-v Administrator" and "Remote Management Users" of hyper-v server , then it works .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 07, 2017 7:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>I installed in every user desktop Hyper-v Manager administration tool and I added them to Hyper-V Administrators local group of Hyper-V server. This didn't work.

I tested it in my lab (windows 10 connect to server 2016 hyper-v server , they are in same domain) .

I added that user account into local group "Hyper-v Administrator" and "Remote Management Users" of hyper-v server , then it works .

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 07, 2017 7:52 AM
  • This is deprecated from Windows Server 2012 R2
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:26 PM