How to use a usb hard disk with xp sp3 RRS feed

• Question

• System: Dell Latitude 400 laptop w/ xp sp3.

I'm trying to use an old 20 gig hd in a usb housing as a backup hd. I know the hd works and the usb housing works from using it with a Win7 computer.

From numerous attempts, the usb hd is recognized in Win explorer as "removable disk (d). However, in Win Explorer properties, it shows 0 bytes, 0 fiels etc.

If I power down the usb enclosure, then power up, I get "found new hardware usb mass storage device", follwoed by a variety of mesages about the device being ready to use (it won't be), or a failure message, or unknown device, it varies with each power down/up.

I need to get this thing running reliably so that if I have to reinstall the o/s, I can actually get it done.

Is Win XP simply too deficient for the task, or is there something that can be done?

Thanks

Monday, November 8, 2010 10:26 PM

Answers

• I kept trying things with this problem with 3 different hd's. It turned out, in my case at least, that the hd jumpers were critical in getting the usb/ide hd setup to be recognized by the o/s. Start with the master setting and keep trying others if that doesn't work.

• Marked as answer by RJA999 Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:00 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:57 PM