none
Unlocking Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• Started my computer only to find it locked by Bitlocker. After much trouble found the recovery password and entered all 44 digits on to the recovery page. Got the message it was unlocking the drive but no time bar or any indication it was working. 1/2 hour later the message is on the screen but the drive is not unlocked. Never set up Bitlocker, didn't even know it was on my Surface pro 3 with Windows 8.1
    Wednesday, December 30, 2015 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Michael Doheny,

After read your post, something make me confused, maybe we need a confirmation from you.

Since you didn’t set up BitLocker, where did you get that recovery key?

Have you ever lent your Surface to others, or if this machine is bought from others.

Please recall what happened before this issue occurred, it can be helpful to deal with problem.

Under normal circumstance, BitLocker Recovery Key is a final method to unlock encryption. As post mentioned, you had got an unlocked message, maybe you could wait a bit longer or restart PC to try again.

Happy holidays.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Michael Doheny,

After read your post, something make me confused, maybe we need a confirmation from you.

Since you didn’t set up BitLocker, where did you get that recovery key?

Have you ever lent your Surface to others, or if this machine is bought from others.

Please recall what happened before this issue occurred, it can be helpful to deal with problem.

Under normal circumstance, BitLocker Recovery Key is a final method to unlock encryption. As post mentioned, you had got an unlocked message, maybe you could wait a bit longer or restart PC to try again.

Happy holidays.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 31, 2015 9:52 AM
  • Hi Michael,

Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know.

I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Wednesday, January 6, 2016 1:37 AM