Using Uninstall-agent to remove one management group from multihomed agents RRS feed

• Question

• I've screwed up and I have 400 agents with an invalid MG defined in their agent.  I've rebuilt an RMS with the same MG name and they have autodiscovered in the console, but won't fully join because of MG ID mismatch.  All I want to do is to remove the definition of the MG in each agent and the console won't do it (option to Uninstall is grayed out) so I tested uninstall-agent and it seemed to work.  My only fear is that it might knock the entire agent out on the destination machines, thus screwing up my production SCOM MG.  So, how dangerous is it to run

get-agent  |  uninstall.agent

Against multi-homed machines?  Am I safe and it will only attempt to uninstall the MG name from which I run the command?

Matt

Friday, May 6, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• I have never used this before, but that is what I would expect.

You can test first to select only a single agent, to see what is happening.

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:41 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:53 AM

All replies

• I have never used this before, but that is what I would expect.

You can test first to select only a single agent, to see what is happening.

Regards,
    Marc Klaver
    http://jama00.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Yog Li Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:41 AM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 7:53 AM
  • Hi Matt,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered" as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios.

In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems.

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:42 AM