Server 2008 network access problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server running Win2003.  I built up a disk for Win2008.  It installed fine, but it cannot access the network.  I thought it was an NIC compatibility problem, so I bought a Vista-comptible NIC.  Win2003 works with both NICs just fine.  With Win2008 (swapping disks), the server resets the network, killing access for other PCs as well.   The router's lights just show that start-up pattern.  The router is a small SMC about 5 years old.  The router does the DHCP.  It is a workgroup, not a domain.  IP addresses are dynamic, assigned by the router.  Other PCs on the network include Vista Ultimate, XP Pro, 2000, and NT, besides the Win2003-or-Win2008 box.  They all behave pretty well together.  I disabled IPv6 on Win2008, but that did not help.  The Vista PC has IPv6 enabled, so that should be okay anyway.  I can disable both NICs and the rest of the network is okay.  Same result if I enable the NICs, but uncheck all of the boxes in Properties.  As soon as I re-check the box for IPv4 on either NIC and click Okay, the problem happens again.  So it seems like Win2008 does something really nasty to the TCP/IP settings.  Help! 
    • Edited by Scott52 Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:30 PM editted a small correction
    Sunday, August 17, 2008 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi Scott,

This isn't really a NAP question, but I will try to help. When you say that the server resets the network, what do you mean? Are client no longer getting DHCP addresses?

-Greg
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Scott,

This isn't really a NAP question, but I will try to help. When you say that the server resets the network, what do you mean? Are client no longer getting DHCP addresses?

-Greg
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:46 PM
  • Hi, Greg  -- 
    Server 2008 continuously somehow sends the router into reset mode, "rebooting"/restarting it (SMC router).  That kills all network access of any type. 
    Since writing up this problem, I have had someone tell me that my PC's chip-set for controlling the CPU-I/O interface does not work with Server 2008.  I don't know if that is true or not, and they coul not explain the issue due to time.  Seems like an OS should not be getting  _that_  cozy with the hardware, but that is outside of my knowledge.  The PC was built in late 2000, according to the Dell Website.  It is an Optiplex GX400 (1.5ghz / 1.25gb), service tag H354Y01.  The chipset is an Intel 850 PCI/AGP.  Does this make sense?  Can you explain what can be done or why it will not work? 
    Thanks,
    --  Scott
    • Edited by Scott52 Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:33 AM
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 1:31 AM
  • Hi Scott,

Most routers have the ability to enable debug level logging. You might try doing this and examine why the router is resetting. It could be experiencing a buffer overrun of some kind that is related to messages being sent on the network. Review the last few messages in the router logs before it resets.

If you are familiar with network monitor you can also use it to see exactly what traffic is being sent on the network.

Are you able to try a different router and see if it has the same issue?

-Greg
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 6:21 AM
  •   Hi, Greg  -- 

I have two small routers, both SMC, that are the same except one has wireless.  Both have minimal logging that only tells when a lease is renewed or a PC connects.  Nothing is recorded during the continuous-reset that Server 2008 causes. 

--  Scott
    Friday, September 19, 2008 10:27 AM