none
MDT Upgrade to 2013 Update 2, Windows 8.1 hangs at 'applying image' RRS feed

• Question

• Initially, Win7 was also stalling at applying image. I uninstalled and reinstalled MDT 2013 Update 2 and ADK for Win10. Then Win7 pushed my images. However, Win8.1 remains hanging at applying the image. My question is not about deployment of Win10 itself. I will be setting that up once I get Win8 working again.

I boot to MDT with one of two USB drives. One for regular Win7 and 8.1 legacy boot.wim, the other USB is for Win8.1 Surface machines which requires a UEFI USB. Both USB drives boot to the server, they get drivers based on WMIC but the UEFI Win8.1 image will not apply. The bdd log shows nothing about the image installation, failing or succeeding, because it hadn't really started yet.
    Any suggestions? 

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:45 AM

Answers

All replies

• You have the latest ADK therefore you're boot image will be using WinPE 10. Make sure your PE drivers are for Win 10. Just to be clear you don't need different UFDs for UEFI or Legacy, you only need different flash drives for x86 and x64.

The best way to manage your drivers is using the Total Control method - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 3:06 PM
  • I have two USB drives so that I can boot one machine set to Legacy and the other USB is formatted as UEFI...for the Surface machines which can't toggle between UEFI and Legacy.

If I need to inject/update WinPE drivers, any idea why Win7E was working after upgrading to MDT2013 Update 2 but Win8.1E hangs at applying image? I'd think it would be the opposite.

I guess after adding WinPE drivers for Win10 UEFI, I will likely have to recreate my UEFI USB as well.

• Edited by the1rickster Friday, April 22, 2016 3:34 AM misspell
    Friday, April 22, 2016 3:33 AM
  • The dism log might be interesting.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: <a href="https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef0a9119-63b6-45ae-a871-866ea62ee3e8/mdt-technet-forum-faq-getting-started-guide?forum=mdt"> MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide</a> Please take the time to read it.

Friday, April 22, 2016 4:59 AM
  • That is an interesting comment. When I was seeing the task hanging at applying image, I did not see anything in the BDD even referencing the image. It seemed it had not actually gotten there yet. Since it didn't actually fail, it didn't get any failure reason. I am going to start on this again this weekend...reinstalling the MDT update and ADK. One thing I keep seeing online often is that people are backing up to previous releases of ADK because of issues. I've seen so many versions of MDT 2013 Update 2 I wasn't even sure which version of that and ADK worked.
    Friday, April 22, 2016 5:11 AM
  • I'm also not sure of how to access the DISM log. I know F8 or F10 brought up a command prompt to access the bdd.log but I don't know how to get to the DISM log in the new version.
    Friday, April 22, 2016 5:13 AM
  • For the most part when I am looking for logs dir /s is my best friend. Most likely \Windows\Logs\Dism . 

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: <a href="https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef0a9119-63b6-45ae-a871-866ea62ee3e8/mdt-technet-forum-faq-getting-started-guide?forum=mdt"> MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide</a> Please take the time to read it.

Friday, April 22, 2016 5:17 AM
  • But in the new version, how do you access the command prompt initially, if that's how you're accessing DISM? I guess the main question is, how do you access DISM to use the command you just posted? :)
    Friday, April 22, 2016 5:26 AM
  • f8 brings up a command prompt in WinPE and Dir is a DOS command. For a primer on finding logs see the forum FAQ.

Friday, April 22, 2016 6:18 AM
  • I have two USB drives so that I can boot one machine set to Legacy and the other USB is formatted as UEFI...for the Surface machines which can't toggle between UEFI and Legacy.

Do you mean FAT instead of NTFS? I just format all my UFDs in FAT so that it's usable for either Legacy or UEFI. Then the only thing that matters is if the processor is x86 or x64 when dealing with UEFI.

As Ty mentioned combing through the logs could reveal what might be going on.

You say your UEFI boot image is the problem, so I'm assuming that has to be your x64 boot image. Make sure you have the right x64 WinPE 10 drivers. I image Dell and Microsoft devices but I only have the WinPE driver pack from Dell and it works fine for both Dell systems and Surfaces.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/11530.winpe-10-driver-pack

This driver pack should work for many Intel based systems in WinPE. For anyone else reading this don't forget to add the driver for your network adapter to your WinPE profile.

Friday, April 22, 2016 1:27 PM
  • This is how I format my USB for Win7E and Win8.1E BIOS drives, and also how I format my other USB for UEFI (which I use to boot Surface machines with Win8.1E):

BIOS NFTS USB BOOT:
    Diskpart
    Select disk (thumb drive disk #) ex: select disk 2
    Clean

Create partition primary

Active

Format fs=ntfs quick

Assign 

TAKE FLASH DRIVE TO SERVER

Insert the drive onto the server and write down the drive letter its now given

On server, go to extracted ISO, located at:

E:\MDTDeploy\Boot\LiteTouchPE_x64NEW folder (copy all contents to flash drive)

Run Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment dos prompt, located at:

Start, All Programs, Windows Kits, Windows ADK, Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment

At prompt, type:

Bootsect.exe /nt60 x:   (where X is flash drive letter)

***************And here is how I format my FAT32 USB for UEFI Systems (Only MS Surface so far):
    Diskpart
    Select disk (thumb drive disk #) ex: select disk 2

Clean

Create partition primary

Active

Format fs=FAT32 quick

Assign

TAKE FLASH DRIVE TO SERVER

Insert the drive onto the server and write down the drive letter its now given

On the server, check the C:\ for a folder called dc. If it exists, delete it.

Run Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment dos prompt, located at:

Start, All Programs, Windows Kits, Windows ADK, Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment

At prompt, type:

copype amd64 c:\dc\winpetest (enter)

close dos box, reopen Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment dos prompt, type:

MakeWinPEMedia /UFD c:\dc\winpetest X: (where X is the thumb drive letter)   (enter)

Go to E:\MDT Deploy Win8\boot and copy LiteTouchPE_x64.wim to

Sources folder on thumb drive. Delete boot.wim in that Sources folder and rename the Litetouch wim (that you Just copied) to boot.wimReopen Deployment and Imaging Tools Environment dos prompt and type:Bootsect.exe /nt60 X:  (where X is the thumb drive letter)

So, what can I do to make one USB which boots both BIOS (Legacy) and UEFI systems to MDT and still get the correct boot file? I just keep two, one labeled MDT BOOT and one labeled SURFACE.
    Each USB drive contains a different boot.wim. LiteTouchPE_x64 for NTFS and the other LiteTouchPE_x64 from my Deploy Win8 Share.

• Edited by the1rickster Friday, April 22, 2016 8:25 PM last line
    Friday, April 22, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Have a look at Rufus, it's superior because it allows you to use a NTFS partition in UEFI mode.
    New server images are larger than 4GB, also all syspreped images which I have seen...

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You should only require one boot device for all machines.
    • Edited by oriooff Friday, April 22, 2016 8:46 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 8:45 PM
  • That's one way to do it, I like letting MDT do all the work. I create the UFD the same way as you using diskpart but I format FAT32 instead of NTFS that way the flash drive can be used with both Legacy and UEFI.

Make sure the check box for creating an ISO image is selected.

Then right click on the deployment share and choose Update Deployment Share to create your bootable image.

Take a look at these instructions - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/525/Adding-CMTrace-to-your-MDT-Lite-Touch-boot-images

Friday, April 22, 2016 8:53 PM
  • Have a look at Rufus, it's superior because it allows you to use a NTFS partition in UEFI mode.
    New server images are larger than 4GB, also all syspreped images which I have seen...

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

You should only require one boot device for all machines.

That's a great solution for media based deployments. If someone is just building a boot image to connect to a deployment share over the network, the boot image will be less than 500MB for x64 and less than 300MB for x86

Friday, April 22, 2016 8:57 PM
  • I guess I should mention that I have two separate Deploy Shares...one for my legacy machines (the NTFS boot) and UEFI Deploy Share. So, each has its own different boot wim. Which boot wim do I put on the USB so it boots correctly to UEFI and NTFS environments? In my instructions above, I format each differently, but I copy the appropriate wim to the corresponding USB. One boot wim for the LiteTouch for Legacy, one boot wim created by the Deploy Share for UEFI. This still isn't clear to me, using my instructions above. Its the only way I know how to make the USB's work for each environment. I can format the USB either way but I have to copy the WIM file onto it. Do I copy the UEFI WIM and it will work on Win7 Legacy machines?
    • Edited by the1rickster Friday, April 22, 2016 9:11 PM wrong description of usb
    Friday, April 22, 2016 9:10 PM
  • You can do Legacy and UEFI from one share with one boot image, what matters is if you set the BIOS to legacy mode or UEFI. Beyond that if it's UEFI on a 64bit processor then you must use a 64bit boot image (32bit processor must use 32bit boot image), where as legacy could use a 32bit or 64bit boot image when deploying to 64bit hardware.

You don't even have to modify the task sequence, the template is already setup to properly partition and format the drive for legacy BIOS or UEFI when deploying your OS.

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:25 PM
  • Set the BIOS to Legacy or UEFI....are you talking about the VM BIOS? Then create one FAT32 USB? When I create my USB sticks, I have to copy the LiteTouch-x64.wim to the drive, so which wim is it....the WIM I created under the Win7 TS or the one from Win8? Two different boot wims.

I could rebuild from scratch my Win8 VM as UEFI....Ive just never found the exact process to make one USB for both environments. If you see my steps above for how I create USB sticks, it seems one can't work on the other. You stated that you can do legacy and UEFI from one share, I have two shares...Legacy, and UEFI. This is where I get confused. Each has its one completely separately generated boot files. Which wim gets copied to one USB that will boot Legacy and UEFI?

Saturday, April 23, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Set the BIOS to Legacy or UEFI....are you talking about the VM BIOS? Then create one FAT32 USB? When I create my USB sticks, I have to copy the LiteTouch-x64.wim to the drive, so which wim is it....the WIM I created under the Win7 TS or the one from Win8? Two different boot wims.

I could rebuild from scratch my Win8 VM as UEFI....Ive just never found the exact process to make one USB for both environments. If you see my steps above for how I create USB sticks, it seems one can't work on the other. You stated that you can do legacy and UEFI from one share, I have two shares...Legacy, and UEFI. This is where I get confused. Each has its one completely separately generated boot files. Which wim gets copied to one USB that will boot Legacy and UEFI?

@the1rickster, you are making media creation far more complex than necessary.  There are only two requirements for your media to support BIOS and uEFI and those are FAT32 and a single architecture (e. g. x64).  I would 100% stop using the process you have been.

Right click your MDT deployment share in the MDT workbench and select update deployment share.  Look in your deployment share in .\Boot and there is LiteTouchx64.iso. Copy the contents of the iso to your FAT32 USB drive.  That is all you need to do for network boot media.

Here are some instructional videos of the fundamentals:
    http://deploymentresearch.com/Videos/MDT-2010-Lite-Touch-Unleashed-Videos

Building reference images:
    http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/521/Back-to-Basics-Building-a-Windows-7-SP1-Reference-Image-using-MDT-2013-Update-2

P.S.  Where is your DISM log?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: &amp;lt;a href=&amp;quot;https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ef0a9119-63b6-45ae-a871-866ea62ee3e8/mdt-technet-forum-faq-getting-started-guide?forum=mdt&amp;quot;&amp;gt; MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ &amp;amp; Getting Started Guide&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt; Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 3:04 PM
  • I tried that. I copied the contents of my ISO to the USB formatted as you described. It boots to the list of TS I have for that boot.wim, under that Deploy Share. I did not see the TS for my other deploy share, which has a different boot.wim. I can either try to copy both boot wims to the USB or just leave it as two USB drives.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 5:15 PM
  • To focus this back on the real problem where is your DISM log?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

• Marked as answer by the1rickster Tuesday, April 26, 2016 1:52 PM
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 7:53 PM
  • I guess I can close this for now. I didn't figure out why Windows 8 deploy was hanging 'applying image' when Win7 worked. I restored my server backup and will begin the MDT Upgrade installation again tomorrow, along with the ADK 10 install. If I have problems then, I will post a new thread. I checked the bdd.log and nothing in there stated that the OS install even began. It was waiting to start the install it seems. One "=" in the progress bar and that was it. I've heard lots, from making a new VM as UEFI to backing up ADK to a prior version. I just want 7 and 8 working as they were, after I upgrade Update 2 and ADK.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:38 PM
  • Dism.log would tell you why.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:41 PM
  • How do you access DISM? Is that F8 and drilling to bdd? I never read a DISM log before. Its always been bdd and it showed nothing about installing the OS even though it was in that process at that time.
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:50 AM
  • DISM.log is the name of a file exactly like BDD.log. As stated above the process to find dism.log is exactly the same.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Gotcha. Thanks. I will be doing this again starting tonight. Hopefully Win8 will go through and drop an OS like Win7 is...which they both were before upgrading. We'll see.
    Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:28 PM
  • Just to explain that I found out...one Deployment Share, one USB. One USB cannot boot you to two separate DS's. You can omit the DeployRoot value and a drop-down will appear showing all shares, which seems best.
    Tuesday, April 26, 2016 8:46 AM
  • Omitting deployroot and having a drop down list only happens if someone configured it previously.

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 3:03 PM