none
MS Project will not switch between open files RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to switch between open MS Project files using Project's window switching function.

The Window view continues to show two Project files that I no longer have open and will not show new files that I open (as shown in image below)...

MS Project Window Switching.png

This just started recently and I am looking for any pointers on how to fix it, please.

Microsoft Project Version 2003 SP3

Thanks,
    Tom

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:13 AM

Answers

• amok82,

So far nobody's mentioned the possibility of file corruption. You have the latest service pack installed and you've tried Detect and Repair. My first thought was the same as Julie's, some new application or utility was installed 3 days ago and that is causing problems. However, if that is not the case, here are a couple of things to try.

First, find your working Global and drag it to the trash. If you are running Windows 7, the Project working Global should be at: c:\Users\[your PC name]\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\10\1033. When you re-start Project a new default Global will be automatically generated. Note: you will lose any custom settings, so if this doesn't help and you did have a bunch of custom settings, you can drag your old Global out of the trash and put it back in the above location.

Second, if the above doesn' t help, go to the MVP website at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and use one or more of the methods detailed in FAQ 43 - Handling Project file corruption and/or bloat.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by amok82 Monday, May 19, 2014 7:46 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:44 PM

All replies

• Few clarifying questions:

*Is it fresh install?

Are using this version for educational or professional reasons?

*What operating software are you using?

In Windows 7 you you can access the files in the desktop ribbon.

*Does it show it after you close and open?

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:40 AM
  • You may have success with a repair of Project through the control panel.  It also appears that you have multiple windows of the same file open.  Try Arrange all and see if you can close the multiple windows of the same file.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:11 PM
    1. Not a fresh install, although the issue just started 3 days ago after over a year of normal use on this installation.
    2. Professional use.
    3. Windows 7.
      Yes the desktop ribbon still works, but is only really a work-around to the issue.
    4. Open and close - still presents the same problem.
      (have restarted program and PC multiple times, also ran MS Project's "Detect and Repair" function).
    Friday, May 16, 2014 1:29 PM
  • Thanks - I will try to repair via the Control Panel.

The multiple windows (Project1:2) was something else I was trying. The problem persists whatever files I have open.

Arrange All does work with the files I have open, however they are not the files that show on the Window menu. That list of 2 projects on the Window menu never changes, whether I have zero or 5 project files open.

Friday, May 16, 2014 1:34 PM
  • Try the following:

1. Ask your administrator to reinstall the software.

2. If the error persist you may create a macro with an allocated shortcut Crtl+A and the following formula attached to it:

Sub Activate_Project()
        WindowActivate
    End Sub

Every time you click Crtl+A you will be presented with a window "Activate" and a list of active projects. It is a valid alternative.

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:29 PM
  • If it started 3 days ago, it sounds like there may be another piece of software installed that has caused the issue.  Any new software installed 3 days ago?  Do all other office products work with multiple files?
    Friday, May 16, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Does the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+F6 work? Ctrl+F6 rotates thru all open files and works the same in all Office applications.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:21 PM
  • amok82,

So far nobody's mentioned the possibility of file corruption. You have the latest service pack installed and you've tried Detect and Repair. My first thought was the same as Julie's, some new application or utility was installed 3 days ago and that is causing problems. However, if that is not the case, here are a couple of things to try.

First, find your working Global and drag it to the trash. If you are running Windows 7, the Project working Global should be at: c:\Users\[your PC name]\App Data\Roaming\Microsoft\MS Project\10\1033. When you re-start Project a new default Global will be automatically generated. Note: you will lose any custom settings, so if this doesn't help and you did have a bunch of custom settings, you can drag your old Global out of the trash and put it back in the above location.

Second, if the above doesn' t help, go to the MVP website at: http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm, and use one or more of the methods detailed in FAQ 43 - Handling Project file corruption and/or bloat.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by amok82 Monday, May 19, 2014 7:46 AM
    Sunday, May 18, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Thanks John - deleting my Global.mpt file fixed the issue :-)

Monday, May 19, 2014 7:46 AM