Running two concurrent instances of Outlook (Office 365). Mail syncs fine but new mail indicator doesn't clear on idle machine RRS feed

• Question

• I'll try to explain this without sounding stupid.

In my home i run two machines. 1 is a desktop, my main workstation in my office. But I also run a laptop that sits in my Garage when i'm home.

I use both throughout the day so both are always open.

Synchronizing mail isn't a problem. the push works great. What is bugging me is this. Say i have one unopened piece of mail in my inbox. I have a tiny envelope in the systray, and on the taskbar, over the Outlook icon I have an indicator that i have new mail. the little envelope.

When i open that piece of mail, it syncs with the other machine fine, except that little envelope (new mail) icon remains both in the systray and over the taskbar.

Of course I could shut outlook down on one, but i mostly don't. I leave both running.

The irritation is, i have to perform an action that  contacts the server to end this. I have to do one of the following:

Close and reopen outlook on the machine that wasn't used to open the mail

right click any folder and choose 'mark all as read' etc.

Adjust rules

You get it, i have to somehow ping the server to clear the indicator.

Is there any way to ger around this? other than  this i love the way this works together, I'm just trying to find a way to do this.

FYI, i show 0 unread messages in the mail account, i also do not see an unread note in the inbox. it's ONLY the indicator on the taskbar/systray that has this issue.

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:49 AM

All replies

• Hi,

What’s your Outlook and Windows version?

I’ve tested this in my environment(Outlook 2016 on Win10 and Outlook 2010 on Win10). Although there is no unread mail in Outlook, the envelope icon will be still showed in the taskbar. However, I haven’t found any official articles about this issue now.

To remove the envelop icon, we can right click on that folder and choose Mark All as Read.

What’s more, the envelope will only show for messages that are delivered to the default Inbox for each account. When a message is caught by the Junk E-mail filter or moved by a rule, the envelope icon will be not shown. 

In order to check new messages more timely and accurately, we can try turning off Outlook's envelope icon and using desktop alert as a workaround. To do this, please go to File > Options > Mail. Under Message arrival section, please unselect “Show an envelope icon in the taskbar” option and select “Display an Desktop Alert” option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, February 2, 2018 1:23 AM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 10:02 AM
  • hello and thank you for the reply.

I am using Outlook 2016 version 1712 Build 8827.2082 Click-to-Run

Windows is:

Windows 10 Pro x64 (updated to current)

I know i could turn off the indicator, but the problem is I use that. i rarely keep outlook in focus as I work so i use the indicator to know when i have new mail.

I already have it show a notice, but it doesn't stay open. it closes. and I don't think that would change anyway. i believe it would remain on the desktop even if I viewed the message on the other machine.

Purely conjecture I'm just basing it on the symptoms 

• Edited by Mindzipper Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:24 PM
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delay and hope that doesn't bring too much inconvenience to you.

I did much research on this but cannot find any documentation stating this. I have submitted this using our internal way and it is also encouraged that you could send a feedback via File > Feedback in the user interface.

For now, as a workaround, you may create a search folder to show all unread messages and add this search folder to the Favorites on both two machines. This will be a little more convenient for you to check unread messages.

Thank you for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Edited by Perry-Pan Friday, January 5, 2018 9:35 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, January 5, 2018 9:35 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Perry-Pan Friday, January 5, 2018 9:35 AM
    Friday, January 5, 2018 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

I did much research on this but cannot find any documentation stating this. I have submitted this using our internal way and it is also encouraged that you could send a feedback via File > Feedback in the user interface.

For now, as a workaround, you may create a search folder to show all unread messages and add this search folder to the Favorites on both two machines. This will be a little more convenient for you to check unread messages.

Regards,

Perry Pan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Sorry for my delay, I was out of the office.

My problem is the 'new mail indicator' on the taskbar icon that remains showing new mail. it isn't dealing with folders, it's dealing with new items. I'm not talking about folders. The folders work correctly. they both update in real-time (or close to it) and correctly show unread messages, as well as bold the folder names. When I view mail notes on either machine the folders work right.

But it doesn't matter which folder I highlight,  if a new item is delivered the icon changes to reflect new items, and that's what isn't getting updated.

maybe I should take a screenshot of one that's incorrect so i can visually display the problem

• Edited by Mindzipper Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:28 AM
    Wednesday, January 10, 2018 6:24 AM
  • No change. that didn't do anything different
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:16 PM
  • Hi,

Regards,

Perry Pan

it's been about 2 days since I replied and haven't heard anything further.

any other ideas?

Sunday, January 14, 2018 5:15 AM
  • Hi,

I can totally understand your concern. The workaround I provided is a quick way to check the unread message in Outlook. This is not related to the envelope indicator.

Please send a feedback via File > Feedback in the user interface.

Regards,

Perry

Monday, January 15, 2018 6:30 AM