none
Incorrect percentage for task completion RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to track a list of tasks that have a fixed estimate (number of hours). Each task's duration can vary. From development lead, I receive actual number of hours spent on a task and (estimated) percentage of the actual task completed. For example:

Task Duration: 10 Days

Estimated Hours: 20

Actual Hours (spent): 20

At this point, Project marks the task as 100%. However, in reality task is only 75% complete and will need additional hours. I rather not change the original estimate as otherwise I will not be able to track where estimated were incorrect. 

How do I go about showing that task is only 75% complete even though all of the hours have been used?

Thanks.

DJ

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:36 AM

All replies

• If the original estimate was 10 days and 20 hours, and then you say that either the actual duration was 10 days or the actual work was 20 hours, then MSP has no "choice" but to mark it 100% complete. If the task needs more remaining duration you must estimate what that remaining duration will be and you must provide the remaining work which will occur during that remaining duration.

This is all done in the tracking table. Give it a try.

Any help?

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 12:35 PM
  • And of course, regarding the original estimate, you should baseline the plan before updating the task.  Baselining allows you to take the original estimate of 10 days/ 20 hours, and then compare that (use duration variance / finish variance) to see what you are currently scheduled to do vs the original baseline.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:19 PM
  • Thank you. I will try that.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:36 AM
  • Thanks Ben. I have not tried base-lining it. I guess I need to learn a tons more about MS Psoject. Do you have any decent online source (perhaps short-course) that you could recommend?
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Hi DJ-DJ,

Pick up one of the many books/e-books available or commercial video courses.  In terms of decent, I've done a few, but so have many others...

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book

Thursday, May 11, 2017 10:53 AM
  • Thank you Ben.
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 11:09 AM