none
DPM 2007 - Unable to complete backup to tape RRS feed

• Question

• I am using DPM 2007 SP1 with latest hotfixes (03/2010).
    I have 2 PGs backing up to a single tape drive (HP Ultrium 920).

We are unable to completed backup to tapes with the following error:
    Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in
    Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID 24050)

Occasionally, we have get the following error:
    DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the
    tape Protection Group Exchange-LT-1Days-Copy0-00000005 (Barcode - ) in Drive
    Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive. (ID 30101 Details: The request could not
    be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D))

I have checked for updated firmware and drivers.  I've checked space in the
    drive, the drive is well underutilized (typically 300 GB or better available
    space).  I've checked the drive for errors and find no issues when performing
    both drive and media assessment tests...

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Monday, June 7, 2010 6:21 PM

All replies

• For the I/O Error, try setting this registry to reduce the number of buffers DPM send to the tape drive.

Cope the information between the start and end copy and save it to a file called buffer.reg then right-click and chose the option to merge.

<Start_Copy>

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
       "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000002

>end_copy<

Without the registry key the default buffer queue size is 10. The reg. key overrides the value and sets it to 2.

For the no free tape, During a tape backup if a tape becomes full, DPM will raise an alert to prompt for another free tape to continue backup. It will wait for 1 hour by default before failing the job.

This prompting timeout can be configured by the registry entry “PromptingTimeOut” under “HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\1.0\Prompting”

PromptingTimeOut:REG_Dword:43200000  (decimal) = 12hrs

The Formula is   (#hrs * 1000 * 60 * 60)

1HR =  1*1000*60*60 =  3600000  decimal

So for each hour to wait, multiply by 3600000.

8hrs = 28800000  decimal

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, June 7, 2010 11:39 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your response!

I will try the registry entry for the I/O issue and will update the thread.

As far at the no free tape issue, there is plenty of space available on tape for the backup to complete...  For some reason thou, I still get this error on a daily basis and I am not getting all recovery points onto a single tape...  The tape should allow for up to 800 GB compressed and I usually get less than 100 GB.

So, I am not sure what extending the prompt timeout value will do for us...

Regards,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:33 PM
  • If the two protection groups do not have the same retension period, and if you have not enabled tape co-location, DPM will require seperate tapes for the PG's.

Please see this technet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc964296.aspx

command to enable co-location of data on tape on the DPM Powershell window: 

Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DpmServer <DPM Server Name> -OptimizeTapeUsage $true

Restrictions

The following restrictions apply to using data co-location in DPM:

• You cannot apply co-location selectively. If enabled, it applies to all protection groups.
    • Only protection groups with the same retention period can be co-located on the same tape.
    • Encrypted and non-encrypted datasets cannot be co-located on the same tape.
    • Datasets from different vaults cannot be co-located on the same tape.
    • Protection groups configured for “Full and Incremental” cannot be co-located with those configured for “Full Backup Only”.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:36 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Yes, both PGs have the same retention period and data co-location has been set.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Mike,

Can you confirm the value I should have in the following key for a 800 GB tape?

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent] "TapeSize"=dword:<Value in MBs>

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:28 PM
  • Hi MOritz,

We have had this I/O error reported to us using HP tape units with DPM. The fix that has worked for other customers in the past is to add the BusyRetryCount DWord to the Storport key for the HP device.

More info here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932755/en-gb Although all the patches may already be on your server check out the registry keys increase the BusyRetryCount to 200 Decimal.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DevicePa
    rameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 200dec (0XC8)

EXAMPLE
    =======

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\Sequential&Ven_HP&Prod_Ultrium_3-SCSI\6&1dd51454&0&000500\Device Parameters\Storport]

"BusyRetryCount"=dword:000000c8   (The Storport key does not exist by default)

Thursday, June 10, 2010 12:32 AM
  • Thanks for your response!

Not sure if this is still applicable, the system is running Windows 2008 R2.

Let me know.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:59 PM
  • Hi MOritz,

Yes, the registy setting is still valid and applicable, the only difference being that Windows 2008 has that fix built-in and doesn't require the hotfix.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Hi Mike,

So here is the update.

After editting the registry key

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\Agent]
       "BufferQueueSize"=dword:00000002

The system was unable to perform backups to tape it all!  I kept getting the "free tape is not available"...

So, I removed the entry.

I then tried the adding the registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SCSI\<DEVICEID>\<INSTANCE>\DevicePa
    rameters\Storport\
    Value - BusyRetryCount
    Type - DWORD
    Data - 20 Decimal (default) <---- Change to 200dec (0XC8)

The value I tried was 250 (fa hex).

I am now getting most of my data onto tape.  However the backup still failed with the following errors:

The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID: 3311)
    Unexpected tape detected in Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID: 24061)

and

Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID: 24050)

At this point I am inclined to upping the value of the registry key to something else.  Do you have additional recommendations?

Please let me know at your convenience.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Friday, June 11, 2010 2:00 PM
  • Hi MOrtiz

If its any consolation I get exactly the same error when using DPM connected to a Dell PV124T LTO3 autloader:

DPM encountered a critical error while performing an I/O operation on the tape Critical Files (Fileservers)-LT-1Days-Copy0-00000388 (000154L3) (Barcode - 000154L3) in Drive IBM ULTRIUM-TD3 SCSI Sequential Device (1210398234). (ID 30101 Details: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error (0x8007045D))

We have swapped hardware with Dell, updated firmware and drivers many times but nothing has cured it.

I havent tried the registry tweaks though.  Does anyone think these will work with a Dell autoloader with an IBM drive?

Cheers

Steve

Monday, June 14, 2010 3:51 PM
  • Mike,

I am now not able to get backups it all!

Strating with Friday's backup, I got the following error:

Unexpected tape detected in Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID 24061)

Then received the following:

Failed to perform the operation since the tape free tape is not available in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID 24050)

Please let me know if you have additional thoughts.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Monday, June 14, 2010 4:04 PM
  • Hi cpqsteve,

So, what do you do?

How do you get backups to tape or do you?

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Monday, June 14, 2010 4:10 PM
  • Hi MOrtiz,

If you perform a detailed inventory of the tape that is in the drive after the failed backup job, what does the status of the tape show ?  If it doesn't show free, expired, or free (contains data) - then the backup will fail because it needs a free tape.   Did you get an alert about not having a free tape in the drive ?

Wednesday, June 16, 2010 3:10 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I will check today.  Typically, if the tape does not show free, I actually erase the tape before proceeding with the backup.

Please let me know if you have additional recommendations.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Wednesday, June 16, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Mike,

I have a tape from Friday which shows all recovery points as "expired", yet it seems that the only way I can backup to it is if I erase the tape first...  Any other ideas?

Also, the status of the drive is typically "in use".

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Monday, June 21, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Hi MOritz,

A tape that is expired should be able to be reused for a backup.  If you perform an ad-hock tape backup (IE: Right-click a data source and choose backup, then select tape backup - it should tell you how many "Available free tapes" you have in the library.   That number should include tapes marked as: Free, Free (contains data) and Expired.

Try refreshing the library - the status for "in use" and "available" are not be updated in real time.  Sometimes that staus may not get changes immediatly following a backup, so wait a few minutes and trr refreshing again. 

Monday, June 21, 2010 3:33 PM
  • Mike,

First, thanks very much for all your help!

As indicated previously, the remaining issue has to do with not being able to perform backups to tape which contain data (regardless of the state of the data, ie, all recovery points date/time stamp have expired). 

This is a single tape drive not a library.

Currently, the only way I can get backups to tape is if I erase the tape prior to initiating the job.

Let me know if you have any other recommendations.

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 5:44 PM
  • Hi MOritz,

See what running this freetape.ps1 script reveals, see if it expires any RP's.  It's a shortcut to having to erase a tape.

FROM WEB SITE: http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

STANDALONE TAPE DRIVE
    ====================

NOTE:  You can use the script on a standalone tape device, you have to fill in the following for tape location:

Drive-\\.\Tape0 where \\.\Tape0 is the windowssymbolic name of the device when you highlight your tape drive in the DPM Console.

Library name is the friendly name as seen on the DPM console, or you can get it from this power shell command:  get-DPMlibrary -dpmservername DPM01 | format-list

EXAMPLE of freetape.ps1:

PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> freetape.ps1
    DPM server name: : DPM01
    Library name: : firestreamer tape drive
    Tape location: : drive-\\.\Tape2147483644

• Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Friday, July 2, 2010 6:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by MORTIZKTL Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:41 PM
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 6:17 PM
  • Can you please re-open the thread if the issue still not resolved?
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, July 2, 2010 6:45 AM
  • Hello,

This is still an issue!

Currently we are getting the following error:

Unexpected tape detected in Drive Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive in Stand Alone Drive Tape Library Hewlett Packard LTO Ultrium-3 drive (ID: 24061)

Additionally, erasing the tape via script does not seem to be an acceptable approach to the customer...

Is there anything else I can try?

Regards,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Tuesday, September 7, 2010 8:43 PM
  • It seems the customer is not managing the tapes properly, you should not try reusing a tape until all recovery points expire, you can use the tape management report to tell you when a tape is due back or overdue so it can be overwritten by DPM.   You need to place labels on the tapes that DPM uses so you can identify them and perhaps even put the expiration dates on the label so you know when it can be reused.
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:26 AM
  • Mike,

Your assumption is incorrect!

The recovery points on tape have expired.  However, we are still getting the errors.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Wednesday, September 8, 2010 12:41 PM
  • Hi,

Seeing the RP's as expired in the tape details is not the same as DPM marking the tape as expired in the console.  When they insert a tape in the library, have then perform a detailed inventory, if after the inventory completes, the tape does not show expired, free (contains data)  or free, then DPM will not use it for the next scheduled backup.

Have them run a tape management report for the next 4 weeks and see what tapes are due back when.

This thread stated with the tape getting 0x8007045D errors, has that problem disappeared ?

Wednesday, September 8, 2010 4:14 PM
  • Mike,

The only remaining issue is the error I indicated:

I am able to perform the backup to the same tape if I launch it manually...

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

MOrtiz

MOrtiz
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 2:02 PM
  • Hello,

"Only protection groups with the same retention period can be co-located on the same tape."

Can anyone explain me, how to set the retention period to ALL PG at the same time with Powershell?

I have the same problem , that DPM asks a free tape but DPN should do a co-located backup to ONE tape. I only have single tape device.

thx

Ben

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:03 AM