What do I do about my 47.9 gb winsxs? RRS feed

• Question

• I realise this question has been asked repeatedly on this forum with people complaining about winsxs being 5 or 10 gb but mine is up to 47.9gb and my computer only has 63gb in total.  I have deleted nearly all my files from the computer and I still only have 1.8gb free.  If I don't find some way of reducing it the computer will just stop working.  On most of the forums it suggests that any attempt to reduce it will harm the computer but there surely has to be a way around it.  Also my winsxs has grown gradually over time so it isn't just that some virus has suddenly taken hold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

N-J-C

I have just had a look and I haven't the faintest idea which forum this needs to go so I'm just going to choose the one with Vista in its title and hope that's right.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 1:09 PM

Answers

• You can reduce the size of the folder, depending upon which SP (Service Pack) you have installed:

1. There is a ‘run-once’ program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it. Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much disk space you have reclaimed. The VSP1CLN.EXE program is described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709655.aspx

2. If you have SP2 installed and are happy with its performance, you can use the Microsoft program COMPCLN to remove files that SP2 has replaced. NOTE that once this program has been run you will not be able to remove SP2. To determine the disk space saved, have a look at the Properties (numbers and sizes of folders and files) in the \Windows folder both before and after running the program.

To run the program, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy and Paste or type %windir%\system32\compcln.exe and press Enter. If you Copy and Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Type Y to the continue message.

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:43 AM

All replies

• You can reduce the size of the folder, depending upon which SP (Service Pack) you have installed:

1. There is a ‘run-once’ program in SP1 that will immediately clean up all the components that were replaced in the Winsxs folder when SP1 was installed. NOTE that once you run the program you will no longer be able to remove SP1 should any problems occur, so make absolutely certain your computer is behaving itself before running it. Firstly, check the size of the folder by right-clicking it, choose Properties and make a note of its size and the number of files and folders. To run the program, open Windows Explorer and navigate to C:\Windows\System32, look for the file VSP1CLN.EXE (the capitals are for clarity only), right-click it, select Run As Administrator then reply Y to the prompt. Now check its size again. You will be pleasantly surprised by how much disk space you have reclaimed. The VSP1CLN.EXE program is described here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709655.aspx

2. If you have SP2 installed and are happy with its performance, you can use the Microsoft program COMPCLN to remove files that SP2 has replaced. NOTE that once this program has been run you will not be able to remove SP2. To determine the disk space saved, have a look at the Properties (numbers and sizes of folders and files) in the \Windows folder both before and after running the program.

To run the program, click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories, right-click Command Prompt then ‘Run as Administrator’. Copy and Paste or type %windir%\system32\compcln.exe and press Enter. If you Copy and Paste the command, use mouse right-click to Paste it into the prompt. Type Y to the continue message.

Friday, May 13, 2011 7:43 AM
  • Hi

Thank you for getting back to me.  I have checked and I don't seem to have a service pack installed, it says I have version 6.0.6000 Build 6000.

I have also now deleted every single file off my computer and run a disk clean-up and I only have just over 900mb of free space.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Monday, May 30, 2011 11:08 AM
  • Here are some other things you can do to reclaim disk space. Most of them are straightforward but if you feel apprehensive or unsure about running something, just ignore it. Here they are:

1. Reduce the space used by the Recycle Bin by right-clicking the Bin > Properties > Custom Size and amend as necessary.
    2. Reduce the amount of space used by system restore. Open an elevated Command Prompt by clicking the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. To display the current details, type (or Copy and mouse right-click > Paste) “vssadmin list shadowstorage” (not the quotes but the two spaces) and press Enter. To reduce (or increase) the disk space allocated, type (or Copy and Paste) “vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=c: /for=c: /maxsize=5GB” (not the quotes but the five spaces) and press Enter. This example assumes changing the space on drive C to 5GB. You may find that all the restore points have been removed after resizing so make sure the computer is behaving itself before reducing the space allocation. Also, make a manual restore point immediately after resizing.
    3. Delete any temporary files that may be left over from CD and DVD burning. Navigate to the hidden folder C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Burn\Temporary Burn Folder and delete all the files.
    4. Remove any programs that are no longer used, via Control Panel > Classic View > Programs and Features. You may also want to turn some Windows features off (in the left pane).
    5. Run Disk Cleanup, go to Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools. After selecting the drive, go to the More Options Tab where you have the option to remove all but the most recent restore point, which may include old backups. Be aware that by doing this you will lose all other restore points which may or may not be important to you.
    6. If you don't use Hibernation you can save almost the equivalent in hard drive space as the amount of RAM that is installed by turning it off. In a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type powercfg.exe -h off (note the two spaces) and press Enter. To turn it back on type powercfg.exe -h on and press Enter.
    7. Remove any other files that you may have overlooked in the past, e.g. old videos, also look in the Downloads folder for unwanted items.

Monday, May 30, 2011 12:07 PM